The Asshat Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: The Asshat Thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Adrian Wapcaplet wrote:I'm adamantly opposed to the "Give it to a kid" philosophy. I started going to baseball games in 1966 and always hoped I'd get a foul ball--I never hoped some random guy in the stands would give me one. (Finally got one in 2010 at an Iowa Cubs game, and my new goal is to catch one on the fly.)

How much meaning can you attach to a ball that was handed to you by an insurance salesman from Cedar Rapids anyway?
The enjoyment is in catching the foul ball, not taking it home to the mantle so you can share the story about how you snagged a 2-1 foul ball from Corey Hart in the 3rd inning. Giving the ball to the kid makes their day and they'll remember getting a ball at the game. It's a win-win.

In the case of the video, the crime isn't that the crying kid didn't get a ball, but that the yuppies outfought a kid to get a ball that Mitch Moreland is underhanding to the crowd, then kept it for themselves. Dead on thread title there.
++

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Adrian Wapcaplet wrote:I'm adamantly opposed to the "Give it to a kid" philosophy. I started going to baseball games in 1966 and always hoped I'd get a foul ball--I never hoped some random guy in the stands would give me one. (Finally got one in 2010 at an Iowa Cubs game, and my new goal is to catch one on the fly.)

How much meaning can you attach to a ball that was handed to you by an insurance salesman from Cedar Rapids anyway?
I'd say, "look kid. I've wanted to catch a foul ball since I went to my first game 37 years ago. Wait your turn."

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Spider John wrote:

I'd say, "look kid. I've wanted to catch a foul ball since I went to my first game 37 years ago. Wait your turn."
And then take it home and ..... ?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

The enjoyment is in catching the foul ball, not taking it home to the mantle so you can share the story about how you snagged a 2-1 foul ball from Corey Hart in the 3rd inning. Giving the ball to the kid makes their day and they'll remember getting a ball at the game. It's a win-win.

In the case of the video, the crime isn't that the crying kid didn't get a ball, but that the yuppies outfought a kid to get a ball that Mitch Moreland is underhanding to the crowd, then kept it for themselves. Dead on thread title there.
And that kid would always cherish the baseball that a random stranger gave to him.

[expletive] the kids.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

It's a [expletive] ball...give it to the kid.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

I'm all about making kids happy, cause God knows some of the horrors some kids have had to endure. So yeah, I'd give him/her the ball if it meant a big smile.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

I have never caught a foul ball. 42 years going to games not a one. If I catch a ball, it is either going to one of my girls, or I am taking that [expletive] home with me. That toddler has 40 more years of going to games before he reaches my level. Besides, it is good to teach kids there are [expletive] out there and you need to learn to deal with them.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Closest I came was last year at Coors. A Pujols foul ball. The gal next to me got it. She was a Tigers fan and we had been talking about our hometowns before the ball came. She knew I was a Cardinals fan and wanted to give me the ball. I knew she had a 10-year old nephew who was a big Tigers fan. I told her to give it to him and make sure he knew who hit it.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Bob Welsch, who was a reliever for the Twins at the time, tossed me a foul ball during a spring training game. Came close a couple times in real games on foul balls and home run balls, but never got anything there.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment here. Kids need to learn that they can't expect to be given everything.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Spider John wrote:

And then take it home and ..... ?
Take a picture of it and use it as my avatar. Hold it at night. Take it for long moonlit walks by the shore.

To be absolutely truthful, I'm a sucker for kids, so I would give him the ball.