GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 18 19, 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: MMMMMmmmmmm, donuts
PostPosted: August 20 19, 3:47 pm 
Veteran Player

Didn't think this belonged in the fine dining thread, but the post there about World's Fair Donuts made me realize that for a fat man who loves the [expletive] out of some donuts, I have consumed donuts from surprisingly few St. Louis donut establishments (I'll usually just do Krispy Kreme or a local place near me on the Ill side that does a decent job, or even Schnucks isn't too bad in a pinch). I've decided I need to correct this and try every donut place I can. Where should I start? Are there any can't-miss places? I've been to a highly-regarded (I think) place in North County called...Old Town Donuts, maybe? They were okay, but the prevalence of flies in the donut case kind of grossed me out. I still ate the hell out of them though. Any thoughts or opinions?

Post subject: Re: MMMMMmmmmmm, donuts
PostPosted: August 20 19, 4:16 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Smith Corks One wrote:
Didn't think this belonged in the fine dining thread, but the post there about World's Fair Donuts made me realize that for a fat man who loves the [expletive] out of some donuts, I have consumed donuts from surprisingly few St. Louis donut establishments (I'll usually just do Krispy Kreme or a local place near me on the Ill side that does a decent job, or even Schnucks isn't too bad in a pinch). I've decided I need to correct this and try every donut place I can. Where should I start? Are there any can't-miss places? I've been to a highly-regarded (I think) place in North County called...Old Town Donuts, maybe? They were okay, but the prevalence of flies in the donut case kind of grossed me out. I still ate the hell out of them though. Any thoughts or opinions?

Come out to the Rogue Valley and try these. Yum!

You'll find me and my daughter in there every Saturday.

PostPosted: August 20 19, 4:33 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I'm not really a donut eater, but Strange Donuts has some pretty good ones

PostPosted: August 20 19, 6:16 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

When the Hall Of Fame forum launches, someone get Smith a first-ballot induction for not putting donuts in the fine dining thread.

PostPosted: August 20 19, 6:32 pm 
Perennial All-Star

They have a donut shop in Lemay called Donut Stop and it's one of the higher ranked donut shops in the country, I go there occasionally since I live nearby in Mehlville.

PostPosted: August 20 19, 7:27 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

I don’t give a [expletive] about donuts. Until i had one from Knead bakery. Holy smokes that was good.

Probably doesn’t belong in this thread- too hipster or too foodie- but damn if it’s not the best donut I’ve ever had, sourdough, perfect.

PostPosted: August 20 19, 8:45 pm 
Veteran Player

I was in Nashville not too long ago and there was this place called...Five Daughters, I think? Or Five Sisters, can't remember. Anyway, super expensive donuts; they supposedly had 100 layers of croissant dough in them or something. I wasn't that impressed. Trying to do too much there.

PostPosted: August 20 19, 10:39 pm 
All-Star

I don't mean to poo poo, but I generally find whatever local place just as good as the buzzy places. Or better, because no line.

PostPosted: August 20 19, 11:05 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Kennedy's Bakery in Cambridge, Ohio might have some of the best doughnuts in existence. So...road trip y'all.

In my hometown there was a place called Gutzler's Donuts...they were pretty good. And in Columbus there are Buckeye Donuts....eh not bad but I would go to Honey Dip over them any day.

PostPosted: August 21 19, 4:17 am 
Veteran Player

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
I don't mean to poo poo, but I generally find whatever local place just as good as the buzzy places. Or better, because no line.

I don't know...poo poo-ing might be the correct term, because I've definitely had some shildty donuts.