Legalizing marijuana

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

If marijuana was legalized, would you be more likely to use?

Yes
31%
No
47%
I already do
22%

Total votes: 68

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Legalizing marijuana

Post by Arthur Dent »

Any predictions on how this will play out? Is this the start of a wave ending prohibition? Will the Feds crack down? If they do, what will be the effect? Will it crush progress on this front, or will it be seen as an overreaction and a waste of resources?

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Re: Legalizing marijuana

Post by TimeForGuinness »

pop_haines wrote:The tide is turning. I think it will be legalized on a national level no later than 2020.

I'm curious how the prisons-for-profit will react and how much influence they have.
Which do you think will provide more money into the pockets of politicians? That may be the answer to your question.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

How in the world does this only have two replies?

It's a thread about pot finally being legalized for chrissakes.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:How in the world does this only have two replies?

It's a thread about pot finally being legalized for chrissakes.
Sorry, I was busy getting high in the bathroom. Wait, what?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I added a poll, hope you don't mind, AD. It's a question I'm interested in seeing people's answer to.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Grew up around it. Don't use it. Never have even tried it. Don't have any plans to. Have family and friends who do daily. I am personally for legalization. Alcohol is much worse... but I am NOT giving that up.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Positively. I shy away just because it's not worth getting arrested. Also, if there were stores that would help. I really don't know where to buy it, I know if I put feelers out it wouldn't be hard but I don't want to do that.

If it were legal, I'd use it. Since it's not, I don't. I want to use it. I want it to be legal.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I'm totally in favor of legalization, flat out. But, I don't like the way it makes me feel.

The only time I've ever enjoyed smoking is right before bed...and that seems like a waste of money.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Regarding the original question, I don't see how the feds can enforce it on a large scale operation. They have the DEA, and they could obviously catch a few shop owners and prosecute with the intention of setting an example and trying to shut everyone down. But, somehow, I get the feeling they won't bother unless people start smuggling large quantities out of Colorado to distribute.

There'd be a huge backlash, imo, if they even tried to set an example. I remember seeing on a major network show, something like Dateline, a story about how a guy was busted in CO by the feds a couple years ago and how they made the feds out to be [expletive].

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Regarding the original question, I don't see how the feds can enforce it on a large scale operation. They have the DEA, and they could obviously catch a few shop owners and prosecute with the intention of setting an example and trying to shut everyone down. But, somehow, I get the feeling they won't bother unless people start smuggling large quantities out of Colorado to distribute.

There'd be a huge backlash, imo, if they even tried to set an example. I remember seeing on a major network show, something like Dateline, a story about how a guy was busted in CO by the feds a couple years ago and how they made the feds out to be [expletive].
My guess is that other than maybe suing the state regarding the law, that is the path the Federal Government will take. They will be all over shops/distributers with the intention of finding any evidence of a wider distribution outside of the state.

Although what exactly did they legalize? I haven't taken the oppertunity to find the actual wording of the law but from a brief 30 second scan of a couple of articles, it looks like they simply legalized growing and possessing for personal use in which case it still doesn't open the door to shops and they can still go after people selling. I could be completely wrong though since I haven't had a chance to read the actual wording of what was passed.