Legalizing marijuana

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

If marijuana was legalized, would you be more likely to use?

Yes
31%
No
47%
I already do
22%

Total votes: 68

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Legalizing marijuana

Post by Radbird »

Mary1966 wrote:Saw an article where our governor turned down the opportunity to be part of a meeting with the feds set up by Colorado. Looks like she's going to let the chips fall where they may. December 6th is the day the new law takes effect. Pearl Harbor Day might be a new holiday for stoners.
More info on the Colorado meeting.

Hickenlooper reaching out to feds on Colorado marijuana legalization
Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper said Wednesday he is trying to speak with U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder about how the federal Justice Department will respond to Colorado's legalizing of marijuana.

Hickenlooper said he hopes to set up a phone call with Holder as early as Thursday to hear the federal government's position. He said he doubted the Justice Department would respond passively to the passage of Amendment 64, which legalizes limited possession and commercial sales of marijuana.

"My sense is that it is unlikely the federal government is going to allow states one by one to unilaterally decriminalize marijuana," the governor said, adding, though, "You can't argue with the will of the voters."

Hickenlooper said understanding the federal response will be vital as state lawmakers and officials look at how to move forward with new regulations for marijuana stores. Those regulations need to be in place by January 2014, meaning lawmakers will have only one legislative session — which starts in about two months — to work them out.

"If the attorney general of the United States is willing to allow that to happen, and I would certainly point out the reasons why that makes sense, certainly then we have a longer discussion," Hickenlooper said. "Then we get back to looking at what are the details, how would we tax this, how would we create a regulatory environment that was robust and really held people accountable?"

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Basically as long as things don't get out of control, the feds are on board. Kinda sucks that they are going to emphasize keeping it from leaving the state.
In a dramatic change in drug policy, the Justice Department said Thursday that it won't sue to stop the states of Colorado and Washington from allowing recreational marijuana use as it issued a sweeping national policy statement that outlines its top priorities for pot enforcement.

The action, welcomed by supporters of legalization, could set the stage for more states to legalize marijuana. Alaska is scheduled to vote on legalizing recreational use of marijuana next year, and a few other states plan similar votes in 2016.

Under the policy, the top investigative priorities range from preventing the distribution of marijuana to minors to preventing sales revenue from going to criminal enterprises, gangs and cartels and preventing the diversion of marijuana outside of states where it is legal under state law.
http://news.msn.com/us/feds-wont-sue-ov ... -colo-wash

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

I'm visiting my sister in Colorado for Christmas, and if my sister weren't such a stick-in-the-mud I think I'd go weed shopping.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Vidor wrote:I'm visiting my sister in Colorado for Christmas, and if my sister weren't such a stick-in-the-mud I think I'd go weed shopping.
I know a guy.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

You know the times they are a-changin' when the Groupon Goods deal of the day is for a vaporizer.

Valpo Cardinal Fan
Veteran Player

Post by Valpo Cardinal Fan »

I have a feeling a lot of that legal pot got wet this week.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Larry Sanders takes a public pro weed stance without sounding like a dip [expletive]. Good for him.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10732 ... ijuana-ban

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

Since I posted last in this thread, I have noticed that some of my neighbors in my apartment complex who have medical marijuana cards are using it to get stoned, and there was been a bonanza of weed shops in my neighborhood. July is when recreational marijuana becomes legal in Washington state. I don't think I am going to like the results. As someone who has never tried marijuana and is not supposed to take it because I am on psychiatric medication, I look at my neighbors and wonder about how getting stoned on a regular basis impacts their lives.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

My stepson manages the dispensary that won Best Medical in Denver recently.