The Car Discussion Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by lukethedrifter »

Went in to Sunset Ford for an oil change prior to a road trip. $40ish. They proposed over $600 in bull [expletive] preventive nonsense, none of which Ford itself recommends. [expletive] them.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

The nice thing about them is they're close to my office and will do the drop off / pick up thing. No need to bug my wife or coworkers.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Now that I have a Subaru, it seems like everybody has them.

Funny how that works.

BTW - I never have been a "car person"...but really like it, Crosstrek.

this was after I PMd Karp with questions on other cars (used). I upsold myself into a new.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

GeddyWrox wrote:The nice thing about them is they're close to my office and will do the drop off / pick up thing. No need to bug my wife or coworkers.
It isn't close to your office by my dad is a mechanic at Columbia Auto Repair at Columbia and Southwest on The Hill. I can promise that he wouldn't do you wrong.

That's actually part of why he failed when he opened his own shop. He was too nice and honest. I still give him a hard time and point out that he lost about fifty bucks his first six months in business all because he wouldn't do what one of my friends took their Jeep to him for. She had a $1300 quote from somewhere else to fix her air conditioning but figured that she'd rather give that money to my dad. I met her at the shop one morning, she handed him the quote and said that's what she needed and I gave her a ride to work since we worked together. An hour later my dad called me and she didn't need any of the stuff on the quote. She just needed a new belt and that's what was making the noise. She drove that car another four years and never had a single problem with the air conditioner that the one place said needed to be replaced almost entirely. Her tab was $100 from my dad instead of $1300.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote:Car repair advice sought!

My check engine light came on. Went to Autozone and they hooked it up to their computer. O2 sensor. Called Suntrup Ford for a service appointment. They said I could forgo the diagnostic check and just have them replace the sensor, or I could pay $130 and have them diagnose it properly. And the $130 would not be applied to the cost of the repair. Is that normal??? Should I go somewhere else?

It's probably the rear o2 censor. This is after the catalytic converter. It has no effect on your cars performance. I wouldn't worry about it personally. My pick up truck has had that code for four years. :) What car do you drive? There is a chance this is a pretty easy DIY fix as well.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

^think that might be a car or two ago

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

lukethedrifter wrote:^think that might be a car or two ago
Heh, yeah. This was last year. I wound up having a shop by my house do it. I actually still have the car. My soon-to-be 16 year old is getting it as a hand-me-down.

I also got my Murano back from the body shop Friday. So, all is good in car land for me right now.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

lukethedrifter wrote:^think that might be a car or two ago

Oh hell, I saw it was July 31, but didn't pay attention the year. First thing you always have to remember when reading my posts is that I'm dumb.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Freed Roger wrote:Now that I have a Subaru, it seems like everybody has them.

Funny how that works.

BTW - I never have been a "car person"...but really like it, Crosstrek.

this was after I PMd Karp with questions on other cars (used). I upsold myself into a new.
I'm strongly considering a Subaru, but I already know that every other car on the road here is an Outback. I've had 2 cars in a row that handle terribly in the snow, and I'm sick of it. Plus, I really miss having a hatchback.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

My tires are worn out on my car. I taught Michelle how to do a burn out on them. I was proud of her. New tires are about $500 a pop. No burn outs on those. lol