What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Post by ghostrunner »

This is so weird:
Long Blockchain Corp., the Farmingdale company formerly named Long Island Iced Tea Corp., Tuesday announced it has filled two vacancies on its board of directors with a Wall Street veteran and a “technology entrepreneur with experience in blockchain technology.”

The company’s shares climbed 21 percent Tuesday to close at $6.17. The stock has risen about 47 percent over the past 12 months, making a major jump after Long Island Iced Tea’s Dec. 21 announcement it was changing the focus of its business to blockchain technology though it plans to continue selling ready-to-drink iced tea.
Head Office is not a well-rated movie for some reason, but I sure do find myself reminded of it often.
Hi. My name is Pete Helmes. 30 years ago, I started a small company called INC Bearing and Tool, and with these balls of steel I built INC International. Now, we produce over 10,000 products, from a 50-megaton nuclear warhead to a creamer, nuttier peanut butter and a new, quieter, artificial heart.

New Pagodi
Perennial All-Star

Post by New Pagodi »

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Humans are getting dumber. When we should be figuring ways to use less energy these geniuses are using more more more to solve a puzzle.

Would not an evolving society be looking for an exchange medium that didn’t pillage the planet?

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

lukethedrifter wrote:Humans are getting dumber. When we should be figuring ways to use less energy these geniuses are using more more more to solve a puzzle.

Would not an evolving society be looking for an exchange medium that didn’t pillage the planet?
Humanity's unconscious drive is to build a computer powerful enough to answer all of our questions, then die. We will create artificial intelligence and it will kill us. Not in some Terminator-like scenario, rather, we're like the extinct Easter Islanders, using all our resources to build an eternal monument to ourselves, exhausting all our life-giving resources in the process.

Two millennia from now, aliens will land to find a planet populated only by wild animals and giant humming self-sustaining server farms.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

At this point, it sounds like bitcoin is really going to have to start providing value in the form of usefulness to bitcoin holders or else it will become obsolete. The cost to mine it has become more than the monetary value it holds and the monetary value continues to fall meaning it costs more to get it than it can be sold for.

So, why would anyone mine it? And, outside of speculation, why would anyone buy it. I guess there are places it can be spent, but afaik, there are few places where it is an exclusive currency. And, while I'm not well versed in bitcoin and it's uses, it doesn't seem that any major headway has been made finding places that accept or prefer it as a currency. Without that, it seems destined for failure. The price has dropped, what, 65% or so from it's peak last year.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

energy consumption to mine bitcoin is more than 39th ranked nation in energy consumption.

Uses more than Austria, Chile, Or Czech Republic

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Freed Roger wrote:energy consumption to mine bitcoin is more than 39th ranked nation in energy consumption.

lukethedrifter wrote:Humans are getting dumber. When we should be figuring ways to use less energy these geniuses are using more more more to solve a puzzle.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:energy consumption to mine bitcoin is more than 39th ranked nation in energy consumption.

I know, right?