Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)

Post by GeddyWrox »

IMADreamer wrote:Do any of you think a solution to all of this is coming in our lifetimes?
Nope. I'm 'spectin that Obumer Death Panel will be knockin on my door any day now.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

IMADreamer wrote:Do any of you think a solution to all of this is coming in our lifetimes?
I think it will be improved in my lifetime. It's not a problem you ever really solve. It's like highway deaths or gun violence. You can never totally fix these problems but you can improve them a great deal. How much improvement will we see? No idea.

I keep going back to the level of automation we are going to have within my lifetime and wonder how we're going to have enough jobs for everyone to work for a living....I'm also wondering how the employer-based health care system we have now is going to hold up.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

The solution has been here for quite some time in the developed world. Just because our second world country rejects it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Tick tock, mother [expletive]!

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

lukethedrifter wrote:Tick tock, mother [expletive]!

Brilliant, I loved it last night....

I can forward an email that Ryan's office sent to me last Friday regarding Health Care....

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts regarding the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). I appreciate your taking the time to let me know your views on this important issue.

In your correspondence to me, you specifically mentioned your thoughts pertaining to pre-existing conditions. Patients with pre-existing conditions, loved ones struggling with complex medical needs, and other vulnerable Americans MUST have high-quality and affordable coverage options. However, we reject relying solely upon Medicaid as a solution. Instead, states and individuals should have better tools, resources, and flexibility to find solutions that fit their unique needs.

As I travel around Wisconsin, I hear from more and more individuals who have serious concerns about what the implementation of the ACA will mean for them, their families and their businesses. Businesses, policy experts, government actuaries, and even some supporters of the law have confirmed what the country already knew: the ACA is bad policy that does not accomplish what it was designed to do. Instead, the law spends trillions of dollars we do not have, and raises taxes on workers, businesses and families, and puts the federal government squarely in the middle of health care decisions.

It started with cancellation notices and massive premium increases for families and individuals in Wisconsin and nationwide. Insurance premiums remain high—in fact higher than ever before for many Americans—and they are rising faster than the rate of inflation, the economy, and average income. These premium increases are taking a big toll on family budgets –not to mention the federal budget. Under the ACA the federal government now either directly or indirectly subsidizes most premiums, meaning the burden of rising premiums is also falling on taxpayers. In Fiscal Year 2016, this subsidization alone will cost an astonishing $300 billion. Unfortunately, we now know that the most damaging effects of the ACA only get worse as we look to the future. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) recently projected that average employer-based premiums will go up nearly 60 percent between this year and 2025. It should come as no surprise then that late last year, CBO also projected that, because of the ACA, the workforce will be two million full-time workers smaller in 2025 than it would be otherwise.

As part of the effort to repeal the ACA continues, Congress must show what a better way forward would look like. There is no doubt that health care reform is needed in this country, but the law the president signed aggravates the worst aspects of our nation’s health care system, without fixing what was and remains broken. The troubled rollout of the ACA goes far beyond a dysfunctional website. For too many Americans, the ACA simply means increased costs and cancellation notices. The negative effects of this law on Americans are sweeping, and instead of offering quick fixes that only temper the consequences, Congress should instead be focused on offering much-needed reforms to our nation's health care industry.

Congress should advance solutions that strengthen health care security by taking power away from the government and insurance companies, and empowering patients with control over their care instead. These solutions should realign incentives so that individuals and their doctors—not government bureaucrats or insurance company bureaucrats—are the nucleus of our health care system. This requires reforms—which I have introduced in the past— to equalize the tax treatment of health care insurance, invite true choice and competition, and ensure critical programs like Medicare and Medicaid can deliver on their promises in the 21 st century. As Congressional Republicans, we must show the country our vision of patient-centered reform, and we can do so by putting forward a bold, conservative agenda in the months ahead.

Fortunately, I, along with my Republican colleagues in the House, have ideas and solutions for those with your concerns. Our health care reform proposal is built on five key principles: repealing Obamacare, providing greater flexibility, protecting our nation’s most vulnerable, spurring innovation in health care, and protecting and preserving Medicare. While you have expressed your concerns with repealing Obamacare, I would like to assure you that our proposed alternative will give you the clean start you need, and allow Congress to pursue the patient-centered reforms that you deserve. No American should ever be denied coverage or face a coverage exclusion because of a pre-existing condition. Our plan ensures every American, healthy or sick, will have the comfort of knowing they can never be denied a plan from a health insurer.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. Please know that as I continue to work with my colleagues in the 115 th Congress, I remain committed to advancing patient-centered reforms. To read more about steps the House has taken to roll back the president's health care law, you are welcome to visit my health care issue paper, available here: http://paulryan.house.gov/issues/issue/?IssueID=9978 . Should you be interested, I also have attached a summary of one of six policy papers that House Republicans rolled out this year for their agenda, “A Better Way: Our Vision for a Confident America.” The summary I have attached focuses on ways to provide high-quality health care with more choices, lower costs, and greater flexibility. I hope you find its contents suited to your needs.

In the meantime, if you wish to share additional information with me, please feel free to contact me by calling, emailing, writing, or faxing me. Please be advised that mail sent to my Washington office is subject to an additional two-week delay due to increased mail security.

If I can be of further assistance to you regarding this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am always happy to respond and be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Paul D. Ryan
Serving Wisconsin's 1st District

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Just got a letter from my health insurance company informing me they will no longer be offering individual plans in my service area. Awesome. Can't wait to see how much this is going to cost me.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Just got a letter from my health insurance company informing me they will no longer be offering individual plans in my service area. Awesome. Can't wait to see how much this is going to cost me.
There's also this today:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-sign ... e-updates/

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

GeddyWrox wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:Just got a letter from my health insurance company informing me they will no longer be offering individual plans in my service area. Awesome. Can't wait to see how much this is going to cost me.
There's also this today:
I hate 'em all so much.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:
There's also this today:
I hate 'em all so much.

How’s that working out for you?