Ted Cruz: National Hero or Wingnut?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

National Hero
8%
Calculating politician making a name for himself on the national stage by making grandiose speeches, gestures, and promises about the safest and most obvious topic that will appeal to his party's bas
36%
Irrelevant
6%
Wingnut
42%
Leroy
8%

Total votes: 36

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Senator Ted Cruz of Texas... declared he would speak “until I cannot stand” to rally voters against the new health care law.

While the Senate appeared increasingly likely to override Mr. Cruz in a preliminary vote scheduled for Wednesday, Mr. Cruz pressed ahead with his opposition and compared his fight to leaders who stood against the Nazis, ended the cold war or launched the American Revolution.

“Everyone in America knows Obamacare is destroying the economy,” he said as he began speaking shortly before 3 p.m.
Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on September 24 13, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Ted Cruz: National Hero or Wingnut?

Post by lukethedrifter »

He's just plain wrong.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

He and everyone who agrees with him should be run out of this country. THEY are the ones destroying our economy. I'm sick and [expletive] tired of these crazy bastards.

Pudgelewis
Perennial All-Star

Post by Pudgelewis »

Pretty sure the "running the country into the ground" thing is a joint venture.

Valpo Cardinal Fan
Veteran Player

Post by Valpo Cardinal Fan »

I still say vote them all out. If you're part of Congress you're part of the problem. We have to wait till 2017 for a new president.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Is there an additional option for "calculating politician making a name for himself on the national stage by making grandiose speeches, gestures, and promises about the safest and most obvious topic that will appeal to his party's base"?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

A little after 8 p.m., the freshman senator said he wanted to read "bedtime stories" to his two daughters and he launched into Green Eggs And Ham.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

sighyoung wrote:Is there an additional option for "calculating politician making a name for himself on the national stage by making grandiose speeches, gestures, and promises about the safest and most obvious topic that will appeal to his party's base"?
As a matter of fact, yes!

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I've had some experience with him here in Texas. The important thing is to not just lump him in with Rick Perry.

Rick Perry is a moron with the mild political savvy necessary to pander to the right people to stay in power in Texas. We all saw what happened when he had to actually compete against legit challengers on the national stage - and that was just against his own party.

Ted Cruz is no dummy. They both know how to invoke the right Tea Party buzzwords, but Cruz is a relentless self promoter. He was also a fearsome state solicitor general in Texas - ie, he is a potent litigator. His oratorical skills are strong. He won't have an "oops" moment. He's calculating and personally unlikable, but he knows how to separate his public persona from his personal a-holeishness. In short, he's just about the perfect politician. Today's non-fillibuster is a perfect example if his calculated self-promotion.

Put it this way: Two years ago, you did not know who Ted Cruz was. He didn't hold an elected office, even in Texas. He was just a lawyer in Houston. Today, he may be the leading Republican candidate for president. That's not an accident.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Is it me or are politicians(mostly republicans given the current balance of power) now spending a lot more effort trying to undo things they've already fought and lost legislative battles over? Maybe it's my (lack of) attentiveness to the news and the 24 hour cycle, or maybe it's an Obamacare thing, but it just blows my mind to see how much effort is being expended on repealing a law that hasn't taken full effect yet after you lost the vote to fight it.