Addictions -drugs alcoholism etc

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Addictions -drugs etc

Post by Radbird »

Vidor wrote:
Radbird wrote:What stopped me from ending up like PSH and so many other famous people? First, I had a job that required me to not be high/addicted. Second, I couldn't afford it. Those restrictions don't necessarily apply to actors, musicians and others who don't have to work continuously and have a lot of money plus easy access.
I dunno--there are a hell of a lot of drug addicts out there who aren't rich, and there are drug addicts out there who have jobs that require staying sober. They just steal to get the money and lose the jobs.
Agreed. The life consequences brought me to my senses before I became addicted and/or lost my way/job/money/life. Sadly that doesn't happen for everyone. And if money were no issue, would I have stopped? That was the point I was trying to make regarding celeb addictions/deaths.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

part of the reason is that some actors become so engulfed in their roles that they are forced to take medication, which usually is only a gateway to other stuff.

see: heath ledger

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:People that OD are either completely unaware of it or so schmammered they can't remember it.....which probably shows a complete disrespect or unawareness in the first place....
I think there's a third option- they willfully disregard those consequences because they devalue their own life.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

JL21 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:People that OD are either completely unaware of it or so schmammered they can't remember it.....which probably shows a complete disrespect or unawareness in the first place....
I think there's a third option- they willfully disregard those consequences because they devalue their own life.
True dat. And, that is almost suicidal.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I was prescribed 30 5mg percocet when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. Might have been the best week of my life.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Freed Roger wrote: Molly wondered-why does this happen so much to some greatly talented famous people?
My theory? Genius of all kinds is a type of sickness, your mind isn't wired like most normal people. Maybe that sometimes draws them to stuff like this. Maybe with some people you just can't have the genius without the dark.

jim

Post by jim »

trill wrote:I've never been addicted to a substance in my life, but I've done oxy, percocet and vicodin so I definitely get the wonderfulness of opiates and how easy it would be to get addicted. I can't imagine how good heroin probably is.
Vicodin and alcohol in combo really make you feel good. And not in "high" sort of way, but in a "all the pain goes away". I took it for a shoulder issue, and all I wanted was for the pain to stop. I knew to be very careful with it, but I could really see how it could happen.
Last edited by jim on February 3 14, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim

Post by jim »

Arthur Dent wrote:
Vidor wrote:The wife had an attack of vertigo the other day--really weird, completely out of nowhere--and we were in the doctor's office, and naturally I was bored so I started reading the posters. They had a flier dedicated to how Kaiser Permanente was going to manage your pain medication, how they were going to keep tabs on what you'd taken, wouldn't replace lost pills, etc etc etc. And, as you say, that's the stuff you get from doctors, which isn't as potent as heroin.
I've never really understood how people get hooked on pain medication. For me, it doesn't seem all that helpful in actually suppressing pain but quite effective at making me feel nauseous. I was given morphine after surgery many years ago, and it was just miserable, although I suppose it's hard to separate the effect of the drug from everything else you're feeling post surgery. Similar with various pain pills (like codeine, I think?) after stuff like dental procedures, though less intense. I wonder whether there is some biological difference that makes the experience of being on pain medication better for certain people.
Codeine can cause stomach problems. Hydrocodon (Vicodin) is absolutely wonderful.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

jim wrote:
Freed Roger wrote: Molly wondered-why does this happen so much to some greatly talented famous people?
My theory? Genius of all kinds is a type of sickness, your mind isn't wired like most normal people. Maybe that sometimes draws them to stuff like this. Maybe with some people you just can't have the genius without the dark.
I have no idea how sound any of the studies are, but I've seen several studies reference a link between creativity and mental illness. Most notably bi-polar.

(my hunch is that it's pretty flimsy evidence for a whole host of reasons, but the idea of the two being linked makes sense intuitively)

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Was noticing on that wiki list of celebrity drug related deaths the many pro-wrestlers.

Here's list of them that died young (for various reason-but drugs a major factor)

Heard a podcast story recently with the surviving brother of the wrestling Von Erichs - he said a lot of the problem was addiction to pain meds - the escalation - you have to take more pills to get the same effect as b/f