Addictions -drugs alcoholism etc

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Re: Addictions -drugs etc

Post by docellis »

JL21 wrote:Not that I'm disputing your stories (I believe both of you), but I'd think you'd have to do obscene amounts of acid to become permanent mush. Or I guess you could get a hold of a really, really, really bad batch or something.
I think some people's mental chemistry can't handle ONE acid trip.

Some people can't handle ONE line of coke. (one line, shot of heroin, one drink, etc).

Maybe someone can do a line of coke, but one hit of acid turns their mind to mush. I think there is something to be said for everyone's brain chemicals being a little different.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

jim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Alcohol is the only drug that the actual act of doing it can be fun. How many times do people try to bounce a ping pong ball onto a syringe and then take that shot, or get held upside down and see how long they can take a hit, or race to see who can snort a line the fastest? Drinking is fun. It is infinitely more socially accepted than any drug, including pot or pills. It is addictive. It kills what more than all the other drugs combined (granted bc of easier access) on a yearly basis?

Thats not to say alcohol is bad or worse than other drugs. Or that other drugs should be legalized, though its a decent opening argument. But, seriously, people treat alcohol like it is not a drug. Or that, at a minimum, its use is somehow less dangerous than all these other drugs. And sure. One beer is exponentially safer than one syringe full of heroin to the neck. But no one drinks one beer.
I disagree, I do drink one beer. I drink almost every day, it's part of my diet basically. Usually more than one, but sometimes only one.
Right, you're making my point. You've drank thousands, probably tens of thousands, of beers. Not just one. When you first started drinking, making that choice back in your teens I'm guessing, the question regarding safety wasn't one beer.

Of course, now there are ample studies saying a drink or two a day is fine, even healthy, but, again, back when you started drinking, no one knew that. Possibly because multi-billion dollar liquor corporations weren't funding studies.

Anyway, back to the point, people really treat alcohol different than any narcotic, prescription drug, or recreational drug, imo.
Last edited by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 on February 5 14, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Arthur Dent wrote:Not to really disagree with you, but aren't cigarettes still the biggest killer?
D'oh! Yes, I believe you are right and I totally forgot about it.

TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

Post by TabascoElvis »

haltz wrote:Cocaine isn't always the best thing to throw into the mix when you're a heavy drinker, and it's expensive, but I've never actually met anyone who used on anything close to a daily basis, or even when they were sober. And almost everyone I know does it occasionally. There's this weird thing about it where people think it will quickly ruin your life. Heroin and alcohol are really the only things I've ever seen take anyone down.
I have a friend who had a $1000/day coke habit, intravenous. His story is horrendous. He ran several very successful businesses in between huge binges where he'd blow $20, 30, 50K shooting up in bathroom stalls. Some people can handle it socially. Those people aren't addicts.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

I pretty much concur with her.

TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

Post by TabascoElvis »

planet p wrote:I pretty much concur with her.
Awesome read, planet

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

planet p wrote:I pretty much concur with her.

I don't completely agree. Like most things, I'm pretty sure it's a combination of things including a good deal of what she says.
I do believe that their are people with addictive personalities, and perhaps addictive chemistries.
I do understand that for some people quitting smoking was much more difficult than it was for me. No question. But for many of those people (the ones I'm familiar with), the problem began with not really actually wanting to quit smoking. Sure, they "tried" but they gave lip service to wanting to stop but they really loved smoking and, as far as I could tell, didn't really want to not smoke. It was part of their identity.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Quitting my snuff habit was absolutely horrendous. Physically horrible - cramping, sweats etc... and then the emotional pull.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

jim wrote:Quitting my snuff habit was absolutely horrendous. Physically horrible - cramping, sweats etc... and then the emotional pull.
Snuff habit? Good Lord, are you 200 years old?