GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 20 19, 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: January 17 17, 2:51 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

tlombard wrote:
Addiction scares me. I think that's why I can't even drink a beer by myself at home. If there isn't somebody else drinking with me then I can't even finish one if I open it. I still have two beers in my fridge from the night of Game 5 of the NLCS in 2012 after a friend's bachelor party when a drunk friend insisted that I not leave the two beers left in our bucket after I called a cab because he passed out at the last bar. At this point I'm holding on to them in there just because.

I've had one uncle die of an overdose. One my family couldn't get to clean up and he eventually took of for California and was never heard from again until we found out he was dead in his 40s a few years ago. And then another uncle who is finally cleaned but ruined his life with drugs and being in and out of jail because he was stealing to feed the habit. My dad is also a functional alcoholic. In my mind I have the fear that drinking alone will lead me down that path and I just can't do it.

But get me in a bar with people drinking and it's on if I'm in a good mood. If I stay away from shots I'm fine but once people start buying shots, I will drink too much. I really need to start going to another bar where I don't know everybody so well and aren't always buying shots.

two weeks into my dry month. I do miss all the venues for drinking (I'm a beer only guy-FWIW). But mostly I miss the beer or two at home on a weeknight. Especially this time of year. Lately, I'm working on our house every spare moment and into late evenings, unwinding with a beer would be awesome. Was tough to not buy Schafly's Stout Bout variety pack at the store. I could walk to Side Project new place, but damn it -not yet.

I'll wait until i get a full month done for any major observations. So far, nothing major happening. I do think, like your experience - whatever you associate your alcohol with is the hardest thing to break it free from, (in your case, a bar with friends - me chilling out at home)

needless to say, no plans to barbecue anything for the next couple weeks - because that would be no fun and food would likely turn out like crap (timing would be off).

PostPosted: January 17 17, 10:08 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I'm not a person to prone to addictions in any way. Don't ever lose control where I go hog wild, after about 6 beers or so it I don't like the way it makes me feel and I usually cut myself off. Almost all of the time that I drink it's just 1 or 2 beers with dinner.

PostPosted: January 18 17, 5:27 am 
Perennial All-Star

Freed Roger wrote:

I'll wait until i get a full month done for any major observations. So far, nothing major happening. I do think, like your experience - whatever you associate your alcohol with is the hardest thing to break it free from, (in your case, a bar with friends - me chilling out at home)

I did a dry month last year, and I noticed I slept better. Less getting up in the middle of the night to pee. Better quality of sleep, esp since there were no nights when I had 3-4 instead of 1-2. No occasional mild hangovers, so early weekend mornings became my favorite time - wake up feeling good, get some exercise and enjoy some time before anyone else is up.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 12:54 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

P.S.A. -been doing some reading to supplement personal observation. JUUL and ecig devices have quickly addicted untold # of young people to nicotine. Millions.

The carcinogens aren't there like with smokes, but the dosage of nicotine is well beyond tobacco products.

Plenty of info out there, but here is some.
http://www.center4research.org/the-dangers-of-juuling/
Quote:
The impact on the developing brain is also of great concern. Brain imaging studies of adolescents who began smoking at a young age had markedly reduced activity in the prefrontal cortex of the brain, an area critical for a person’s cognitive behavior and decision making, leading to increased sensitivity to other drugs and greater impulsivity.[3] The amount of nicotine in one juul pod is equivalent to a pack of cigarettes. Since teens often use multiple pods in one sitting, they can unknowingly become exposed to unsafe levels of nicotine that can have immediate and long-term health consequences

I've been checking in with my kid frequently on this. Has tried it for sure.
Is she addicted? Hard to say. I'm not going to fool myself that someone who is addicted to something will not lie about it, especially when it is so easy to conceal and accessible. it is definitely an issue with her group of friends. Ones that have tried kicking the habit have struggled. Kids with smartphones, their networking capabilities to get back on it is powerful.

Throwing nicotine withdrawal symptoms into the challenge mix for kids sounds awful
Quote:
anger/irritability, anxiety, depression, impatience, trouble sleeping, restlessness, hunger or weight gain, and difficulty concentrating

I am starting to realize that parental and authority prohibitions and ad campaigns are not going to do the job. This seems like something kids would need adult help with combating, and kicking the habit.

PostPosted: January 10 19, 2:17 pm 
99% conan clips

artie certainly looks different

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10