The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by IMADreamer »

Brats are awesome. Our local butcher does some really cool varieties. Like Pineapple Brats, bacon brats, cheese, etc. I'm not a huge fan of the pineapple but they are still decent. The others he does are awesome.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

IMADreamer wrote:Brats are awesome. Our local butcher does some really cool varieties. Like Pineapple Brats, bacon brats, cheese, etc. I'm not a huge fan of the pineapple but they are still decent. The others he does are awesome.
There's a butcher on the other side of the Cities from where we live now (was closer to our old place) that has over 100 different styles of brats on their menu, including gummy bear, PB&J, caramel apple, and pizza.

http://www.grundhofersmeatmarket.com/brats/

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

That sounds a little extreme!

There's a guy around us that I thought had a large selection: brats, jalapeno brats, kiebalsa, italian sausage, chicken sausage, chorizo, a lot of variations of that. But, he doesn't do pbj, bacon, etc. The ones he makes are absolutely excellent though, so there's that.

My uncle cooked up a lot of G&W brats the other weekend. They had regular, hungarian spice(?), and a few others that were all very good. Not sure how many varieties they have, but apparently it's quite a bit.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I am a terrible St. Louisan. I have lived about a mile or less from G&W since 2011 now and have never stepped foot in the place. I've had a LOT of G&W brats but mostly because other people have actualy gone there and contributed them to BBQs and such. I think they are great and tell people about them all of the time but I've never actually been there and only bought them from Schnuck's downtown a couple of times on the way to meet family to tailgate back when the Rams were in town.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

A guy opened up a little BBQ joint a quarter mile from my house. His pit beans can be their own meal. I'm gonna get fat.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Are you guys firing up your smokers today? I got mine going early, smoking some pork sausage to put in a cornbread stuffing, got a turkey spatchcocked that's been dry-brining in salt and a ton of black pepper for the last 3 days ready to go on around 3pm.

This is my favorite meat smoking day of the year.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I smoked a turkey and 2 turkey breasts on apple and hickory wood. I stuffed them with apples and oranges. They turned out wonderful.

Getting ready to dig in again today.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Yeah pretty similar here 33. Dry brined and spatchcocked a 14lb turkey. Dry brined it for about 12 hours and I will say this. It was obvious what had/hadn’t been affected by the salt. Basically the legs and the perimeter of the breast got doke at one time and then the inner breast took an extra 30 minutes or so. Had to take the legs off the turkey to keep them from burning. Still tasted great.

Then took the carcass and a thigh and made some amazing stock.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

What’s your smoking rig?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i baked a fake meat roast for 60 mins in my crappy oven in my crappy apartment. get jealous punks.