The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Got ribs yesterday. Ended up going to Whole Foods because they had a sale on baby backs. But the racks were .... meatless. They had no meat on top of the bone. Only meat was that which was between the bone. No wonder they were on sale. They were making all the money off the loins.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

So, yeah, it was a pita cooking those little ribs. Ended up going to kroger to get some real racks since the whole food ones were [expletive]. In order to cook the WF ribs, had to keep the smoker at 160ish degrees which meant a full water pan in the weber smoker and put the K ribs on the top rack to protect the WF ribs from getting the heat that circulates off the top. After about 3 hours, pulled the WF ribs and wrapped them and let the temp of the cooker come up to 225 or so. Put them on wrapped for about an hour then seared them. Pulled the K ribs, wrapped them for an hour or so, then seared them as well. I'll never try to cook ribs that skinny again. They actually turned out pretty damn good...but it didn't matter because there was so little meat. I asked WF if that's how their baby backs always come and they were like...yeah, they're skinny. Why would they sell them like that. You don't need to know much to know they're too skinny.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Just cooking for myself tonight, and whipping out the crockpot for some pork ribs, with a grill braising (after outdoor feel-like temps go under 100 degrees). So there.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Aaaah yes, Sally Lo Crocket is holding the ribs in the stall. Won't be long and she'll deliver the rise and the melt, then on to Ole Schwartzie for a quick braising.

And lo and behold I can't find any barbecue sauce in the house. Mrs Freed must have conducted one of her infamous expiration date purges. So tasted-out my own sauce - white wine vinegar, ketchup, hot sauce, honey, variety of seasonings etc,-has me wondering why I ever buy store bbq sauce in the first place.
Here is my meat, spoiled for size [insert beavis butthead laugh]
[SHOW]

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I've done ribs in the crockpot, Freed. Just want you to know I stand with you. Don't let these "purists" bully you.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Mmmmm. Mushy ribs.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Freed,
Please start a crockpot and microwaving meat thread and keep this foolishness out of here.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Yo mommas cooked ribs this way

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Freed Roger wrote:Yo mommas cooked ribs this way
Every generation desires a better future for their children, however. And, in this case, that better future has taken the form of smoke, fire, and better ribs.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:Freed,
Please start a crockpot and microwaving meat thread and keep this foolishness out of here.
Oh, like that thread about cooking steaks with a dilrod and boiling water