Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u enter)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u en

Post by ghostrunner »

Swirls wrote:
thrill wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I rewatched everything a month ago or so and if I haven't said it before, this show is incredibly impressive in the amount of foreward thinking and planning that was involved....unlike any TV show I can recall. It seems like sometimes those shows take advantage of things that were said/done in prior seasons whereas GOT seems like everything was planned start to finish* before the first episode was shot.

*I know its based on books, so obv everything was planned for them. But, there's been a lot of great filming and attention to detail that still could have been missed. Coupled with a really entertaining story that has a completely balanced mixture of drama, action, and suspense, and it's no wonder the world has fallen in love with GOT.
They get no credit for that. GRRM is the best world building writer, possibly ever. He's got limitations in other areas, but his world building is insanely detailed. The episodes that have exceeded his work have been very, very weak on world building. Characters acting out of character. Impossible feats of travel. Inconsistencies. Short cuts.

It's still great, but they're lost without him in that sense.
I take it you've never read the Wheel of Time series, then? Robert Jordan trumps GRRM in this regard.
I will disagree here, or maybe it's just that I think he builds the world at the expense of everything else. I liked the first book, but I'm now 5 books into it with my son and I don't feel like it's gone anywhere since then and the characters haven't developed in a compelling way. Having said that, Perrin is not in book 5 which I'm just now realizing is a big loss.

I think Tolkien is probably better than either at world building, though GRRM has the edge on fully realized characters.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

ghostrunner wrote:
Swirls wrote:
thrill wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I rewatched everything a month ago or so and if I haven't said it before, this show is incredibly impressive in the amount of foreward thinking and planning that was involved....unlike any TV show I can recall. It seems like sometimes those shows take advantage of things that were said/done in prior seasons whereas GOT seems like everything was planned start to finish* before the first episode was shot.

*I know its based on books, so obv everything was planned for them. But, there's been a lot of great filming and attention to detail that still could have been missed. Coupled with a really entertaining story that has a completely balanced mixture of drama, action, and suspense, and it's no wonder the world has fallen in love with GOT.
They get no credit for that. GRRM is the best world building writer, possibly ever. He's got limitations in other areas, but his world building is insanely detailed. The episodes that have exceeded his work have been very, very weak on world building. Characters acting out of character. Impossible feats of travel. Inconsistencies. Short cuts.

I take it you've never read the Wheel of Time series, then? Robert Jordan trumps GRRM in this regard.
I will disagree here, or maybe it's just that I think he builds the world at the expense of everything else. I liked the first book, but I'm now 5 books into it with my son and I don't feel like it's gone anywhere since then and the characters haven't developed in a compelling way. Having said that, Perrin is not in book 5 which I'm just now realizing is a big loss.

I think Tolkien is probably better than either at world building, though GRRM has the edge on fully realized characters.
Oh... They'll develop. :)

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
thrill wrote:

That's one thing I don't get. Why did, after season 6 iirc, they committed to finishing the series on season 8? Made no sense. It's like they just went ahead and hit the Fast Forward button. And, I certainly agree, a lot of the stuff seemed...impossible. The time travel of Vaerys to see the Rose queen Olyenna but sailing with Dany. The time travel of, Dany getting to the guys behind the wall. Etc etc etc. But, that seems more a function of, say, wanting to finish this incredibly detailed world that they (Martin) created in like 20 hours instead of letting everything continue on the natural path it was headed.

Perhaps they realized they couldn't keep up what they had been doing either for lack of ability without the books or lack of time everyone wanted to invest for another 5 years. Either way, it certainly has come off as rushed.

i think it was a pre-determined amount of episodes. and its way [expletive] expensive to create.

There was always an end to the series, but i do agree its been somewhat rushed. should have gone 9 seasons imo

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

go birds wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
thrill wrote:

That's one thing I don't get. Why did, after season 6 iirc, they committed to finishing the series on season 8? Made no sense. It's like they just went ahead and hit the Fast Forward button. And, I certainly agree, a lot of the stuff seemed...impossible. The time travel of Vaerys to see the Rose queen Olyenna but sailing with Dany. The time travel of, Dany getting to the guys behind the wall. Etc etc etc. But, that seems more a function of, say, wanting to finish this incredibly detailed world that they (Martin) created in like 20 hours instead of letting everything continue on the natural path it was headed.

Perhaps they realized they couldn't keep up what they had been doing either for lack of ability without the books or lack of time everyone wanted to invest for another 5 years. Either way, it certainly has come off as rushed.

i think it was a pre-determined amount of episodes. and its way [expletive] expensive to create.

There was always an end to the series, but i do agree its been somewhat rushed. should have gone 9 seasons imo
I'm pretty sure GOT is a money maker for HBO even with their production costs.

Hell, I've been sans cable for 5ish years now and went ahead and signed up for the hbo go app for a few months because I felt bad not paying for GOT....the only tv show that has compelled me to do that.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The pre-determined length is because everyone involved wanted to do other things, basically.
HBO is going to make GOT universe spin off's until the end of time, so it's not a cost thing.
ghostrunner wrote:I think Tolkien is probably better than either at world building, though GRRM has the edge on fully realized characters.
-10,000 world point penalty for interminable songs.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

thrill wrote:The pre-determined length is because everyone involved wanted to do other things, basically.
HBO is going to make GOT universe spin off's until the end of time, so it's not a cost thing.
ghostrunner wrote:I think Tolkien is probably better than either at world building, though GRRM has the edge on fully realized characters.
-10,000 world point penalty for interminable songs.
I just skip 'em.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

The Dorne plot in S5 was included because of the reception Pedro Pascal got as Oberyn Martell and Indira Varma's performance with Ellaria. Until they saw how good they were the showrunners weren't committed to doing it.

And yes, the shows later seasons are rushed because of a combination of factors including showrunner fatigue, them not thinking a lot of books 4 and 5 were tv worthy, and not having future material to adapt. Things are moving quite bizarrely with minor characters being introduced next season who show up in book five who haven't even been mentioned yet.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Season 6 Episode 2
[SHOW]
Oh. Well then. Welcome back Mr. Snow.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

thrill wrote:GRRM is the best world building writer, possibly ever. He's got limitations in other areas, but his world building is insanely detailed. The episodes that have exceeded his work have been very, very weak on world building. Characters acting out of character. Impossible feats of travel. Inconsistencies. Short cuts.

I'll take the odd bit of out of character over 2000 [expletive] pages of "where do whores go?" and the intensely tedious Daenerys "arc". GRRM is a hack TV writer who lucked into a good idea and has zero idea of how to finish it.

If you don't like Tolkien's songs, how do you like GRRM's ten page descriptions of meals?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Famous Mortimer wrote:If you don't like Tolkien's songs, how do you like GRRM's ten page descriptions of meals?
And heavy breathing descriptions of females during sex passages.