Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u enter)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u en

Post by Michael »

ghostrunner wrote: This group is awesome, but it's going to bug me the whole time that the "capture a wight to convince Cersei" plot is dumb.
I agree. I suspect this plot is cooked up purely for fan service and it's not something GRRM has actually outlined for the books.

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

Also the more that I think of the scene about to unfold (if we believe the season trailer), I'm guessing Dany + Dragons have to get involved. That's kind of a common refrain by now but it seems unlikely without horses or any other support that the seven of them can get into and out of the heart of the dead army without some Deus Ex shenanigans. My bet is Gendry lives and maybe one day gets a dragon. We'll see, though.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

misterManager wrote:Also the more that I think of the scene about to unfold (if we believe the season trailer), I'm guessing Dany + Dragons have to get involved. That's kind of a common refrain by now but it seems unlikely without horses or any other support that the seven of them can get into and out of the heart of the dead army without some Deus Ex shenanigans. My bet is Gendry lives and maybe one day gets a dragon. We'll see, though.
Wife and I were speculating either Dany flies up there or Bran brainjacks one of the dragons and does it. Not only is it dumb to try to convince Cersei, but there's no way in hell they should live through the attempt. Something else has to come and save them.

If they do succeed, I can't imagine how a truce scene with Cersei goes in a way that doesn't feel completely wrong.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

yea i hate cersei but this "truce" would be the dumbest route ever taken in the series and may essentially ruin the entire series for me.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Michael wrote:
ghostrunner wrote: This group is awesome, but it's going to bug me the whole time that the "capture a wight to convince Cersei" plot is dumb.
I agree. I suspect this plot is cooked up purely for fan service and it's not something GRRM has actually outlined for the books.
I feel like the show went off the rails once D&D ran out of source material.

It makes sense that the show struggled once it got so big/expensive that 1 year wasn't enough time/budget to produce a full season and at the same time the writers no longer had any source material to utilize.

I feel like D&D had to decide if they wanted to bogg the show down in plot that they didn't have a great handle on and was already overly complex - or use GOT as a way to create exciting TV moments at the expense of the plot - and they chose the latter.

If GRRM's grand vision for the books was working in a coherent fashion we'd have more published books than we do right now. So, while I dislike the shortcuts and baffling plot logic, I feel it was the only way a show of GOT's magnitude was going to end in a way that was still enjoyable.

I think back on LOST - which had a similar complex plot with lots of characters and questions and their attempt at continuing that direction caused the finale to just fall flat. There were too many questions and too many plotlines to tie them all up in an nice neat bow that satisfied everyone. GOT is basically cutting out the unnecessary strings so that we have something in the end worth wrapping.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

[SHOW]
I personally think that the first 5 seasons were writting with certain plot points because of GRRM.

I'm thinking GRRM said they had to have the Sand Snakes, Sam Tarly had to go to the Citadel, LittleFinger had to be in the vale, Sansa had to end up in the north - etc etc etc. That these plots were critical to where the story was going in The Winds of Winter. So the show had certain plotlines that they didn't really know what they were doing with them outside of some broad strokes. Then GRRM couldn't deliver the book, didn't want to share the goods, and forced the show to finish those plot without a good idea of where they were heading.

GRRM likely had a meeting with the show runnners and outlined how the show should end, but not the details. So D&D had to connect the dots they built anticipating more story from the books to a broad outline that didn't detail what happens in the citadel or how the Sand Snakes impact the story, etc.

It's the only thing that really makes sense of the dramatic adjustment that starts in season 6.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I didn't really mind all the jetpacking this season, but the last episode kind of got to me.

Why is it taking the white walkers so long to get to the wall when jon is jetsetting throughout westeros?

I guess the only explanation is that it's not all in the same time frame--but that really wouldn't make sense either considering hardhomme.

I dunno--this season has been really enjoyable for me and i don't care about world building anymore so a rushed finish is fine (to an extent).

I just wish they would spend a little more time explaining some things--ya know--in 10 episodes. As opposed to a shortened season with shortened episodes.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

go birds wrote:I didn't really mind all the jetpacking this season, but the last episode kind of got to me.

Why is it taking the white walkers so long to get to the wall when jon is jetsetting throughout westeros?

I guess the only explanation is that it's not all in the same time frame--but that really wouldn't make sense either considering hardhomme.

I dunno--this season has been really enjoyable for me and i don't care about world building anymore so a rushed finish is fine (to an extent).

I just wish they would spend a little more time explaining some things--ya know--in 10 episodes. As opposed to a shortened season with shortened episodes.
The jetpacking in the last episode isn't the problem people make it out to be. Ships move really, really fast compared to land armies. The trip from Dragonstone to Eastwatch would only take about 12 days at average speed (7 knots, the cogs of the day could get up to ~12). King's Landing->Eastwatch by land would take 6+ months.

The larger problem with Eastwatch is there isn't that story which has its own narrative. Usually an episode has a primary story with distinct scenes - the immediate tablesetter, build-up, and climax - then throw in 3 other random locations which act as additional build up before the next episodes when those will take over as the main episodic story.

Eastwatch didn't have a main story, it was hop-skipping between location after location with no climax and ends on a cliffhanger. A monumental reunion of Jaime and Tyrion is mid-episode filler like its some sort of Alsoran. It's a series of scenes designed to get from Jaime in the water to Jon heading off at Eastwatch n the fastest way possible.

When an episode is designed with that as its foundation, it needs to immediately be canned and the whole structure of the season rethought so that doesn't happen. "The Spoils of War" was really good though.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

definitely didn't see that one coming. :shock:

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »