Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u enter)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u en

Post by heyzeus »

I'm all caught up now! So...did Jon Snow just bang his aunt? Cousin? I'm a bit confused on my Targaryen lineage.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

heyzeus wrote:I'm all caught up now! So...did Jon Snow just bang his aunt? Cousin? I'm a bit confused on my Targaryen lineage.
Aunt. His father was Rhaegar, who was her brother.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ghostrunner wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I'm all caught up now! So...did Jon Snow just bang his aunt? Cousin? I'm a bit confused on my Targaryen lineage.
Well yeah.
But her dad and mom are also her aunt and uncle and John's great aunt and uncle as well as grandparents so therefore she and John are also second cousins. Right? Or when the incest goes that deep, you just stick with the cleanest descriptor of aunt.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

thrill wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
Well yeah.
But her dad and mom are also her aunt and uncle and John's great aunt and uncle as well as grandparents so therefore she and John are also second cousins. Right? Or when the incest goes that deep, you just stick with the cleanest descriptor of aunt.
I think someone figured out that their genetic code would be something like 50% identical.

I'm choosing to look past it.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ghostrunner wrote:
thrill wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
Well yeah.
I think someone figured out that their genetic code would be something like 50% identical.

I'm choosing to look past it.
I just re-read the history of the seven kingdoms (shut up, you're the nerd). If it makes you feel any better, the scientific reality of their universe has some implications that makes incest within their specific family (and their's only) biologically, if not morally, more acceptable than our universe. There are multiple humanoid species that can interbreed with varying degress of success a la horse + donkey = mule, but mostly lead to deformed still births or the death of the mother in child birth. The children of the forest, giants, and the white walkers are just a few. Most stories of interbreeding are not confirmed, but rather anecdotal (Hodor). There are also the Ibbense & the Brindle men of Sothyros which are explicitly humanoid, and very similar, but not quite the same as men. Neanderthal to human would be an analogous comparison. There are many documented instances of those species interbreeding with men to varying degrees of success and failure.

I believe, the Valyrians fall into this category as well. They seem to just be different, and not just because they bonded with dragons and were far more advanced than the other human civilizations before the Doom of Valyria ended all of the major houses but the Targaryens. There are many anecdotal allusions about that kind of stuff, but more relevant is the history of their reproductive practices. Their inbred babies seem to be consistently as good, evil, brave, competent, smart, stupid, sick, healthy, strong, weak, sane, insane, etc as any normal noble house. The babies produced outside of the relatively pure Valyrian blood are notably consistent in deformity, still birth, and maternal mortality rates. For example, Dany has a child with Drogo, the child is misshapen and dead. Lyanna Stark has a healthy baby with Rhaegar, but she dies. This is a consistent pattern in their family lineage where Targaryen man + outsider woman = healthy baby but dead mother and Targaryen woman + outsider man = dead baby but living mother. There are definitely healthy birthing processes between a Targaryen and an outsider, but the occurrence is notable and consistent. The maesters cite very specific similar patterns between normal humans and the brindle people in Sothyros, down to the gender-specific patterns, but they don't notice the obvious parallel with the Targaryens, and when George does stuff like that, you can usually read into what's not there as much as what is.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I for one am glad it is okay in their universe.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Right?! So convenient. Thanks George, ya creep.

The show will not and should not give a [expletive] about any of that so I guess we'll all have to try to not be grossed out.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

A lot of the area I cover for work is eastern Ohio and West Virginia so this [expletive] is nothing new to me.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

thrill wrote:Right?! So convenient. Thanks George, ya creep.

The show will not and should not give a [expletive] about any of that so I guess we'll all have to try to not be grossed out.
I mean, this is a world in which twins happily and healthily procreate with eachother and produce beautiful blond offspring. So anything goes. Wanna [expletive] a dragon and make a baby with wings who shoots fire? Why the [expletive] not.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Has anyone mentioned how disappointing it was that rhaegar looked like viserys? I wanted rhaeger to look like thor.