Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u enter)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Swirls
gone fission

Re: Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u en

Post by Swirls »

I held off watching any of this season until it was all over and over the weekend finally watched the last couple episodes to end the series. I was bored yesterday afternoon at work so I binge-read all 40+ pages of comments from this season to get caught up on the thread. I agree with most of what has been posted.

I just hope to hell Amazon's Wheel of Time series won't end up like this. The books are all finished, which works to their advantage, but there are about a billion plotlines just like in GoT and there are spots where the timelines of certain main characters are 1-2 books apart from each other so it's not uncommon to go an entire book with one of the 3 main heroes never having a single chapter, or at most a couple chapters.

I guess we'll know more in a couple years when the first season is released.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

a thread for you GoT fans

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Jocephus wrote:a thread for you GoT fans
I find the whole frenzy around this thread weird. They signed on to adapt a show and up until the source material ran out they did a pretty great show that everyone liked. They ran it, produced it and wrote some of it. I know at least one of them had written books and screenplays before. They’re not completely incompetent, which sounds like the charge everyone is making. Lots of people learn by doing, and it’s not like this was a slam dunk concept or even widely anticipated. HBO was convinced for whatever reason to take a chance on it, and it looked like a good bet about 3-4 seasons in.

They made multiple bad decisions in the final seasons which they should own, but it’s weird how the big take is they were incompetent goobers who had no business touching the material.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Two related things

Benioff and Weiss are now off the Star Wars movie they had because of their Netflix deal obligations, supposedly.

The GOT prequel with Naomi Watts has been cancelled by HBO, due to production issues apparently. That seems like free money for HBO, so it must be bad.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

ghostrunner wrote:They made multiple bad decisions in the final seasons which they should own, but it’s weird how the big take is they were incompetent goobers who had no business touching the material.
that was the point of the uproar

when they had source material to adapt from, they were very good; but once the source material ran out (after Jon "died"), they were woefully incompetent...seasons 6-8 were a lot lower quality/less substance than seasons 1-5. season 6 was also the only one with the "normal" 10 episodes per season, and seasons 7 and 8 only had 7 and 6 episodes in them. They were just making stuff up and obviously couldn't fill up episodes any longer without source material/direction from Martin (he's been on record saying they never really asked him for anything much; most of this was them on their own, and he's taking the books in a different direction)

also, it's why the uproar with them helming Star Wars (and the relief they pulled out)...as it's the end of the Skywalker series; the next trilogy has no "real" source material/it'll all be made up pretty much, and these 2 obviously have shown they can't handle that/not having source material.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

A bunch of the responses to that thread were that they had no business getting the show and were clearly unqualified. That’s what I’m talking about.

I don’t think that criticism works given the quality of the first few seasons. In fact I’d say as long as they weren’t writing they seem to have been pretty competent showrunners/producers.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I think it's funny how they got totally burnt out dealing with the scrutiny and fandom for 10 years or whatever they claim they gave from their "lives" (as if we don't all give decades of our lives to much less fulfilling and rewarding work) and then jumped right into a Star Wars series, as if that wouldn't be just as bad and consuming. Good for them for having the wisdom to quit before they spent another decade whining about it.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

ghostrunner wrote:A bunch of the responses to that thread were that they had no business getting the show and were clearly unqualified. That’s what I’m talking about.

I don’t think that criticism works given the quality of the first few seasons. In fact I’d say as long as they weren’t writing they seem to have been pretty competent showrunners/producers.
Apologies, I thought you were talking about this thread, and wasn’t sure what you meant about that portion.

Yes, saying they shouldn’t have gotten GOT in the first place is foolish. They were very very good in seasons 1-5 with the source material. As long as they have source material to work with, I would be thrilled if they were at the helm of an adaptation I was a fan of.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

thrill wrote:I think it's funny how they got totally burnt out dealing with the scrutiny and fandom for 10 years or whatever they claim they gave from their "lives" (as if we don't all give decades of our lives to much less fulfilling and rewarding work) and then jumped right into a Star Wars series, as if that wouldn't be just as bad and consuming. Good for them for having the wisdom to quit before they spent another decade whining about it.
And to be clear, from their writing these guys appear to be juvenile idiots. Capable of some inspired dialogue here and there (almost everything to do with Robert, cousin Orson monologue from Tyrion in S3), and good at running the pieces of a show, but juvenile idiots nevertheless.

I think the strongest critique of the final season is that we had almost no dialogue from the 2 most important characters in the finale. Cersei and Dany. It’s indefensible.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »