Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u enter)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u en

Post by 33anda3rd »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:The backlash is getting out of control and I for one am curious how it will end.
This happens with virtually everything that hits this level of cultural mass-appeal. Star Wars, the Sopranos finale, Lost, X-Files, the Seinfeld finale. With the exception of Breaking Bad, I can't think of a show or movie that gained a following--either a huge following of a hyper-devoted cult following--that didn't experience some kind of fan backlash.

Probably it ends the way Star Wars and X-Files ended. It won't. There will be a devoted fan base, convention panels, lots of words in print and on the internet. LOTS of Facebook threads with three-to-four-figures of comments. There will be a prequel. And a sequel. And some origin story films or miniseries. Some people will like them a lot. Some people won't like them as much. Some people will like some of them a lot and some of them not as much. They'll all discuss it on the internet. GoT seems like it's at thing now, like pro wrestling or cyberpunk novels. It's part of the entertainment culture and it won't go away and it will have its ups and downs but live forever.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I haven't really paid attention to Star Wars but I know there is a lot of hate for rian johnson. The sopranos was instantly loathed but further understanding of the meaning seems to have smoothed out some of the criticism.

The ending of Seinfeld was stupid, but really it was never a story with character arcs and stuff. I mean no one cared if Elaine and Jerry hooked up or were together in the end. They just had some really good dialogue and scenarios over the course of a long time and people like it. (EG: Mint?) But, it was literally a show about nothing....which is quite a bit different than GOT.

I never got into Lost and can't remember ever caring about the ending of the x-files. Did it even end? I can see it becoming like Star Wars in that it has a huge following, but that was kind of the point of my previous post showing HBO is starting to move away from some of the prequel series they had planned. Also, I doubt we see a sequel unless it is way far after the ending of the season that just ended. Problem with that though, there is no source material for it.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

I really enjoyed the end of Justified and Hell on Wheels, though neither had near the pop culture stature as the above mentioned shows. Breaking Bad remains the best television series I've ever watched and I don't think I can quibble with anything they ever did, including the episode Fly.

Those freaking out about the end of GOT need to get a life. It was a TV show. Get over it.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Tim wrote:I really enjoyed the end of Justified and Hell on Wheels, though neither had near the pop culture stature as the above mentioned shows. Breaking Bad remains the best television series I've ever watched and I don't think I can quibble with anything they ever did, including the episode Fly.

Those freaking out about the end of GOT need to get a life. It was a TV show. Get over it.
What is dead may never die!

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Seinfeld was slyly about something: narcissistic selfish New Yorkers. In the end they were jailed for that narcissism and I think people didn't like it because they didn't understand the whole time that it was about four jerks. Folks spent a decade empathizing with answering machine tape switcheroos and disliking people for talking to close or to quiet, then in the end it was like "hey these are awful people" and the wide audience just didn't get it.

Sopranos was about the moral shifts between murder/racketeering/philadering and being a husband and dad and son. We were never supposed to think Tony was awesome, but people did because he had a big house and a boat and a sexy gumar and another sexy gumar and he wiped out his enemies, and then in the end when people were presented with "Should this guy live or die? You decide." they couldn't handle it because they don't want to decide they want Tony to still be awesome or to get killed and be their TV martyr, like Walt in BB. They loved Walt, even when he was a monster, and he got his end, which Tony didn't. On a mass scale, they hated Sopranos ending and loved BB.

Most of the consensus on the endings has more to do with the psychology of devoted audiences and what they project on characters and narratives--what they need the ending to be--that it has to do with the actual storytelling. I'm not saying that's the case for GoT, I haven't seen enough of it, but I think it is the case for shows I know and also know the crowd reaction to at the end. Perhaps it applies here?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

33anda3rd wrote:Seinfeld was slyly about something: narcissistic selfish New Yorkers. In the end they were jailed for that narcissism and I think people didn't like it because they didn't understand the whole time that it was about four jerks. Folks spent a decade empathizing with answering machine tape switcheroos and disliking people for talking to close or to quiet, then in the end it was like "hey these are awful people" and the wide audience just didn't get it.
I'm really mixed on that one. On one hand I like the choice to do that, and it holds up better as time goes on. But the episode itself is kind of clunky and the whole courtroom scenario with a string of guest appearances from old characters doesn't work very well. It's also not that funny an episode as I recall. I was at a party for the finale, so you've got people sitting down with their black and white cookies and marble rye wanting to laugh and be entertained and instead you get this kind of "ha ha, joke's on you for liking these terrible people." Kind of a bummer.

I think if you told me that's how it ended and I didn't see the episode I'd think "oh, that's clever", but watching it wasn't much fun and whatever they were trying to say got buried in that.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i remember being a bit confused watching it (seinfeld) live but i do think its held up better over time.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Any show that ends by subverting expectations will be vilified.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

33anda3rd wrote:Any show that ends by subverting expectations will be vilified.
it's not about the ending, its how they got there.

the entire season was trash and the D&D are trash too.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »