Star Wars Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Star Wars Thread

Post by Jocephus »

what timeframe is 2nd shift?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Jocephus wrote:what timeframe is 2nd shift?
Usually something like 2-10 or 4-midnight.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Jocephus wrote:what timeframe is 2nd shift?

For me, it's 1-10.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

This weekend they're running The Last Jedi essentially 24 hours straight so no matter what kind of shift or you have going on in your life you should be able to find time to break away and see the movie.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

JoeMcKim wrote:This weekend they're running The Last Jedi essentially 24 hours straight so no matter what kind of shift or you have going on in your life you should be able to find time to break away and see the movie.
If you live in a large city, perhaps. If you live out in the sticks and only have access to a small theater, they may only had one or two extra showings since they probably don't have the staff to support running something 24 hours.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

It’s awesome. Long but awesome.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Honestly if you don't like The Last Jedi then i question if you ever truly liked Star Wars to begin with.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Saw it. Nothing in it really surprised me but I appreciated the execution. Good watch.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I liked it - very good movie - but did walk away feeling kind of sad, and not because of anything that happened in the movies itself. This is the 9th Star Wars movie and this was the first one that wasn't made for me.

For nearly 40 years, from 1977 until 2016, every Star Wars movie was made for me ... the stories were mostly about my characters and their stories - Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Obi-Wan, R2, 3PO, Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Yoda. Rogue One didn't really have those characters, but we all knew why and knew what they were doing. Even Force Awakens, which was an injection of (necessary) new blood, was only done so with a very comforting familiar template.

This had familiar faces old and new, but this was an entirely different storytelling paradigm. It wasn't my story anymore, at least not chiefly. This movie was made to slough off more old in favor of the new. Which is fine and necessary for the franchise. I'm guessing kids probably won't mention Luke or Leia much when they want to talk about the movie ... Rey and Kylo are the main characters and they're the only main characters they've ever known. The torch has been passed to the new characters and a new generation of fans. Disney ain't making movies for 45 year old men.
[SHOW]
This really hit home for me when we learned (if true) that Rey's parents are nobodies and when that kid at the end used the "force"
to pick up the broom. Yes we all know anyone can have the force - heck, Vader was a nobody - but it really signaled the end of the Skywalker story arch to me. I'm sure Luke will be in the next one as a force ghost, but it won't be the same.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Mark Hamill's best performance in anything he's ever done? He was always kind of overshadowed by Harrison Ford in the earlier films. For whatever reason being this older and wiser character seemed to really click for him.