Rich People, Robots: Are we Effed?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Rich People, Robots: Are we Effed?

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Jeff Bezos will be an interesting despot. He didn't build his company over the graveyard of the American dream, so much as he started burying the bodies underneath his business. He can afford to buy the ideas that have less than a percent of a chance of ever challenging him. But he also is fairly progressive. He owns the Washington Post, which is the only place to get news anymore.

I think he'll probably have us all living immobile, not drastically needy, but no way up and out lower-lower-middle-class-ish existences.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:Speaking as an Amazon prime member with their rewards credit card I welcome our new overlords.
Just think of the rewards bonuses you could rack up if you got your mortgage through Amazon Prime Bank. Amazon Prime student loans? You kiddin me? Holy [expletive]!

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

What's the better play? Start adding Amazon to non-secular Christmas songs, or replacing Jesus with Amazon in Christian Christmas songs?

Oh Amazon,
Oh Amazon,
How lovely art thy Prime Day.
25 percent off cell phone accessories
Kindle Fires adorn our Prime Trees
Oh Amazon,
Oh Amazon,
How lovely art thy Prime Day.

----

Away, in a manger
no workplace filter to block
little lord Amazon
was there ready to be shopped

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/amaz ... etail.html

Amazon is really lapping the field in the race to see who values humans less and can make their inherent inefficiency obsolete. For the record, I will shop at these stores the first chance I get.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Few kinks to work out still.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I will open the door when you order more Kashi Go Lean.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/b ... oogle.com/

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Robots like the one created by ecoRobotix (shown above) will be able to roll through fields, using computer vision to target and spray individual weeds as they go. EcoRobotix claims its robo-brigade will decrease total herbicide use by a factor of 20. You might even be able to get a smaller Roomba-esque version for your home garden.
https://www.technologyreview.com/the-do ... ss-models/

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Gashouse wrote:
Robots like the one created by ecoRobotix (shown above) will be able to roll through fields, using computer vision to target and spray individual weeds as they go. EcoRobotix claims its robo-brigade will decrease total herbicide use by a factor of 20. You might even be able to get a smaller Roomba-esque version for your home garden.
https://www.technologyreview.com/the-do ... ss-models/
How it’s done now: fearmongering.

This isn’t an ag thread so I digress. At least the thought of these robots has been around publicly for over a decade. Personally I think they might need to make the robots able to pull weeds. Weeds are evolving faster then chemicals right now.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This video is a year old. But it has a guy explaining how artificial intelligence and robots are likely to lead to mass layoffs. The guy also says that there is a good chance the economy stagnates in the future due to all this disruption. Then he goes on to explain how excited he is to get in on the investment opportunity that artificial intelligence and robots present. They are not even pretending any more that "a rising tide lifts all boats". He's very aware of the downsides of this stuff, but literally does not give on [expletive] about it because it could make him and his investor friends rich. All that downside is somebody else's problem.