Serial Podcast

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
MrSaigon

Serial Podcast

Post by MrSaigon »

Anyone listening to this? Has generated some buzz. Really quite interesting. Have listened to three episodes while at work. Seems very, maybe even excessively even-handedly presented.

Great concept. Like long-form This American Life.

The seeming levity in some of the interviews, and even in the presentation strikes me as odd sometimes.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Serial Podcast

Post by heyzeus »

We've listened to the first two installments. It's an interesting story and captivating and well put together. From the way I've heard people talking, though, I thought it was going to be something earth shattering and new, rather than a modern serialized radio version of In Cold Blood. But that's ok, because it's good.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Funny, I was in process of downloading this now. Sarah Koenig, right? i need [expletive] to listen to while walking the dog all winter.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I have all of the eps on my phone. Feels like potential big commitment to start so I'm waiting for a long drive or something.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

I'm like seven episodes deep now. It's very well put together. Presented well, but as I said above, a little lightly sometimes.

Given the current events and how people at the poles of either side view things in dense frames there's something great about the super strong commitment to objectivity here, and exploring the endless circles objectivity makes you spin in, and the hat tip to the fact that it doesn't hardly exist. It also explores great questions about how well you could know someone, culture, and what people might be capable of. I really appreciate that Koenig seems to know her limitations as a journalist in this situation as well.

It's really a great show. However, there's something about the human element and reality of it all--in combination with not knowing where it's going with regards to these real people (with the strong possibility of nowhere), that keep me from really biting down completely.

Also, I haven't seen how many episodes there are going to be. Is it open-ended?

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I listened to the first one months ago, maybe September or October? On NPR...Did not realize there was a series until reading this thread this morning and now I am up to episode 6.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

Mr - there are supposed to be 12 episodes

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

I'm not reading any commentary on this or anything, so maybe this is a popular sentiment. But I have to wonder if she's just dragging people through hot coals. Maybe she could have quietly just passed the case along to one of those innocence projects. I'm glad this is out there, and I strongly recommend the show, but that thought often crosses my mind. Especially after the most recent episode (11).

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Dorks

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Ok done now. Bump for wild theories.