RIP Confederate Flag?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: RIP Confederate Flag?

Post by Freed Roger »

Freed Roger wrote:Was running at Forest Park and saw the gathering at the confederate memorial. BLM and Don't Tread on me signs. Fat White dudes dressed up like halloween army guys. Apparently it cost a lot to move but new mayor has vowed to move it and Tishuara Jones has 8100 raised in gofundme.

Why waste money preserving and moving it? If whoever- rex sinquefield KKK and/or GOP tea partiers want it moved intact somewhere-they should foot the bill. Otherwise, just whack it with a wrecking ball and haul off the scraps.
followup:
Ran by it again over the weekend, no event but 10-15 people milling about and a few law enforcement. According to RFT, there's been at least a couple of confrontations. Could be a long summer of activity there. The mayor etc would be wise to just be done with it soon.

I heard a bit of bantering on it by the morning hosts on KMOX this AM. I don't listen to that station much- sometimes it's on because I was listening to the Cardinal game. KMOX seems to be full-on right wing these days. I suppose old white people is the target audience, so it makes sense. The morning host was dismissing the conflict with -paraphrased (1) "nobody even knew of this memorial being there before all this" and (2) "it's a memorial to the soldiers - not to a specific confederate or the cause"

1) I knew it was there. So did a lot of people. pre-existing knowledge of it, what difference does it make? 2) the host is clueless, the inscription on the back glorifies/misconstrues the south's role in the Civil War.

Anyway, though I agree there are bigger things to worry about than these memorials, I have yet to hear a decent argument for protecting them and keeping them up. With white supremacist's favorite guy in the WH, things have gotten tense and symbolism matters more than ever.
-------------------------------
also, story on NPR about Georgetown TX confederate symbol controversy. the story is good, though I think the title and lead-in is a lot misleading - the Texas town really didn't deal with the statue at all, and instead put another one up for another white guy who defended the interest of white guys.
http://www.npr.org/2017/06/05/531536384 ... troversies

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I just learned Arizona has Confederate monuments. They didn't even become a state until 1912.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I find it funny when people try to justify using the cofederate flag. "It's all about state rights", no it isn't you just want to justify putting up a racist flag.