Pluto Appreciation Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Re: Pluto Appreciation Thread

Post by Schlich »

edit: nevermind

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

They shot a bullet 9 years ago and hit their target 3+ billion miles away. Pretty [expletive] cool.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

I'm not scolding anyone, I'm just saying.

Schlich

Post by Schlich »

I just don't want it to sound like i'm poo-pooing on people's passions and interests because generally that's a dick thing to do. I'm happy people are passionate about something in science, even if my personal biases wish it was something else. But I just don't get why space in particular is what seems to dominate pop science. There's so much here on Earth. Seems escapist. Maybe it's just because of sci-fi's influence but it seems like something more than that.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Schlich wrote:I just don't want it to sound like i'm poo-pooing on people's passions and interests because generally that's a dick thing to do. I'm happy people are passionate about something in science, even if my personal biases wish it was something else. But I just don't get why space in particular is what seems to dominate pop science. There's so much here on Earth. Seems escapist. Maybe it's just because of sci-fi's influence but it seems like something more than that.
I'm equally fascinated by the deep ocean.

I mean, the pentaquark is a pretty cool finding, but it doesn't fill me with a sense of wonder.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

Space exploration is a source of information about the origin of the universe and what created it. Isn't it?

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Science is about discovering and studying things that are unknown. It seems churlish to resent it when science is discovering and studying an unknown thing that is different from the unknown thing one wishes it would study.

And if it's a matter of money, we can compare, say, NASA's entire budget with the money we spend to keep one aircraft carrier afloat and equipped with planes.

Anyway, Pluto. The best pictures still haven't arrived.

Schlich

Post by Schlich »

I don't think I'm portraying my thoughts accurately. Good for science, good for society.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

i'M coming to find out the longer I live that I have very few obsessions where I care to delve deeply into the details. Let's take for example Shakespeare. I bet you could spend a lifetime dissecting his works, what drove him, how he became so iconic, why his works are so great, etc etc etc. You could get lost in it all. But, I don't much care. He wrote some plays, was pretty good at it, and people still are amused by his stuff. Romeo & Juliet is a good story. Cool. Past that, I'm not going to spend anymore time worrying about it. You may say 'Oh, that's such a shame, he's so amazing and you can get so much more out of it if you put more into it!' I don't deny that. But, you can say that about a lot of things.

Space, to me, falls into that same category as Shakespeare. Except we know hardly anything about it. EM drives, other terrestrial beings, space travel, time travel, etc etc etc. Cool. But, I'm probably not going to spend a lot of time delving deeply into where exactly kepler 62e is located, how they know what they know about it, or rather or not travel to that planet will ever be possible. BUT, do I find it extremely interesting that there is an earth like planet covered with oceans that could contain life? Absolutely.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »