Moving to St Louis

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Moving to St Louis

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I suppose after Christmas I'm going to need to get serious about preparing for this. Myself and Mrs Mortimer have lived in the UK for 6 years now (well, I've lived here all my life, together I mean) and as her Mum is a bit sick, we're going to move to St. Louis, help her brother look after her mother, and start a life there. I fancy a challenge.

So, I appreciate none of you are immigration experts, but if there's a question or two anyone could help with, I'd appreciate it.

1. Any recommendations on areas of the city to live? At least in the beginning, I won't be driving, so somewhere with reasonable public transport links to the centre of the city would be nice.

2. Rough estimate on how long buying a place takes? I guess we'd only be able to look properly once we're living there, so let's say I see a nice house the first day. Given Mrs M is an American citizen, there won't be too many complicated legal issues I hope, how long before we can expect to be in there?

3. Anyone hiring English guys who'll spell all the important words wrong and call soccer "football"? :)

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Moving to St Louis

Post by JoeMcKim »

So I guess you'll just be renting an apartment until you find a permanent residence?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Probably, yes. That would have been question 4, but I couldn't think of a way to phrase it. I guess if there's a good site for local stuff, that allows me to filter by furnished / non furnished (as we won't be bringing any with us, probably), allows pets, etc.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Pre-welcome.
This is hard without knowing more. Do you have initial thoughts or areas of STL you may have heard about that interest you?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Really, no. Mrs Mortimer's mum lives in Maryland Heights, so I guess either near there, or somewhere that's easy to get to there from? I appreciate this is all a bit vague.

I would like to live as close to the middle as possible, having lived right in the middle of my home town (called Chesterfield, coincidentally enough) pretty much all my life; but I'm not all that bothered. I get the feeling I'm still subconsciously going by UK scale, though, where most places can be walked to, from most other places.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Maryland Heights and public transit don't really belong in the same sentence.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

lukethedrifter wrote:Maryland Heights and public transit don't really belong in the same sentence.
Good to know :(

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

St. Louis and public transportation don't belong in the same sentence unless that sentence is "St. Louis has crappy public transportation."

Ballwin or Chesterfield are great areas within 15 minutes. (Distances are measured in minutes in St. Louis)

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Rough estimate on how long buying a place takes?
Are you paying cash or will you need a mortgage?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Maryland Hts has a heap of apartment complexes. It was my port of entry when I moved to STL 25+ years ago. I didn't care for it-not walkable-and has a hard by the interstate highway feel. felt like I had to drive to do everything-including driving to somewhere to take a walk or run.

That was long time ago.

I know next to nothing about navigating public transportation-other than the further away from the center you are-the harder it is to come by.

Chesterfield & Ballwin and Creve Couer -I seriously doubt they would appeal to you. Look at Google map satellite view- cul de sacs and subdivisions- not walkable.

Inner suburbs like Richmond Heights, Kirkwood, MapleWood, Clayton, my humble Brentwood are probably the most centRal to the metropolitan area. public transportation more accessible here(though I never use it). Not all entirely walkable, but parts are and you can carve out a niche of places to go. Maybe 15 min from Maryland Heights by car.

I know 2 families in our suburb that don't drive much and walk most places. Some of the pedestrian life isn't aesthetically great -crossing the major roads are a pain.

Old St. Charles ? Dogtown? Places near Forest Park?