RIP Jimmy Buffet

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

RIP Jimmy Buffet

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I never got it. But I truly believe I’d be happier if I did.

Skin cancer. I can’t decide if that’s dark poetry or Jimmy Buffet kind of poetry.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: RIP Jimmy Buffet

Post by heyzeus »

My first job out of college was for Accenture, the global consulting firm. Mostly I did nothing there, for a variety of reasons but the short answers are September 11, and Enron. But during training, they decided to make everyone learn html, because it was 2001. My manager was a huge Jimmy Buffet fan, so his fun idea for the html training was to make me and my teammates create a Jimmy Buffet trivia website. So I had to do a ton of research about Jimmy Buffet, and mind you this was before Wikipedia was a thing, so I think I even got a book about him. I don't like the music of Jimmy Buffet. But I built a stupid Jimmy Buffet multiple choice website and hated every minute. Then Accenture laid me off and I went to law school. Anyway, RIP.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

So the music of Jimmy Buffet was a driving force in you becoming a lawyer. That’s almost better than a cheeseburger in paradise.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I should've known the big guy was struggling because his weed company, coral reefer, has really been underpacking their pre-rolls lately. Definite slippage going on over at coral reefer.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Parrotheads in mourning everywhere.

I liked his music. I would not say I was a super fan but it was fun.

RIP

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I've never listened to Buffet's music. One of many American subcultures that I've never investigated. Seemed like a decent guy, though.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

sighyoung wrote:
September 6 23, 10:08 am
I've never listened to Buffet's music. One of many American subcultures that I've never investigated. Seemed like a decent guy, though.
I hope so but I have doubts. At the Waikiki Cheesburger in Paradise you had to pay for fries separate from your burger. What kind of sit down burger place doesn’t give you fries with your burger?

And the shaker of salt was right there on the table, very easily found.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

As the son of a parrothead, I can confidently say you're not missing anything if you haven't heard his music. One out of every 20 or so songs is good, but still pales in comparison to his singer-songwriter contemporaries. He's basically John Prine for the simple.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

thrill wrote:
September 6 23, 10:58 am
He's basically John Prine for the simple.
That's a very good analogy. Spot on.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

My parents listened to his greatest hits album many times on many road trips when I was in high school and college. Not bad songs at all, but unlike a lot of stuff my parents overplayed,it never felt like there was anything there worth going back to.