GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 25 19, 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Tesla Motors
PostPosted: October 12 17, 5:24 pm 
The Last Word

True, technically it's not "fuel free".

I'm doing it mainly for the quiet and convenience (no gas, no oil to mess with every season, etc.)........ and because it feels like a new toy to me. I have a relatively small yard, with several large trees. I got a battery-powered chain saw to work in the yard with, and the batteries for it are interchangeable with this particular mower. As Transmogrified Tiger mentioned earlier, the height adjustment device on it is fantastic.

PostPosted: October 13 17, 6:11 am 
gone fission

JCShutout wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
My lithium lawnmower is scheduled to be delivered any minute! I'm pretty excited to make the transition to fuel-free!

Its not really fuel free though, the fuel is the electric grid, right?

I have an electric corded mower. Because I live in MO, that means it basically runs on coal, but one can hope upgrades to the grid can change that. I was hesitant to use a battery powered one because I was concerned that battery maintenance would be tough. (Cant leave them in the garage because of the extreme weather, do you leave them plugged in or not? I read some things that say yes, some say no.)

I believe all of Calloway's electricity is sent up to KS and St. Louis. So, some of your electricity that you get is clean...

PostPosted: October 13 17, 7:04 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

The amount of electricity used to charge the battery is tiny. In my research I watched a bunch of vids including one where the guy measured the how much it took to fully charge the battery.

Another bonus is not getting gas and oil on your hands or in the car.

PostPosted: October 13 17, 2:52 pm 
Puppy Murderer

Arthur Dent wrote:
The quiet operation and vertical mess free storage aspects seem neat. Not sure I care too much about saving a gallon of gas every couple months or whether its worth paying 3x the gas mower price.

If you're optimizing for price there's definitely cheaper mowers, but the battery powered mowers are on par with the price you'd pay for a high quality gas mower that won't have as many issues. To me it's similar to paying a bit of a premium to get something that will be less painful to own, and you have the environmental impact as a kicker.

PostPosted: October 13 17, 10:14 pm 
MacGyver of Underwear

Socnorb11 wrote:
True, technically it's not "fuel free".

I'm doing it mainly for the quiet and convenience (no gas, no oil to mess with every season, etc.)........ and because it feels like a new toy to me. I have a relatively small yard, with several large trees. I got a battery-powered chain saw to work in the yard with, and the batteries for it are interchangeable with this particular mower. As Transmogrified Tiger mentioned earlier, the height adjustment device on it is fantastic.

That's why I have the corded mower. Easier to maintain. My trimmer/edger and drill each use the same battery, which I keep in the basement to avoid extreme temperatures.

PostPosted: October 15 17, 5:21 am 
Perennial All-Star

With it being electric does it also not require oil in the engine?

PostPosted: October 15 17, 6:58 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

JoeMcKim wrote:
With it being electric does it also not require oil in the engine?

No oil

PostPosted: March 12 19, 9:50 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Benoit found another Model S that had been totaled in a collision but whose electronics and batteries were still good, bought it for a little more than he’d paid for Delores, and began the long process of turning two broken vehicles into one good one, figuring everything out as he went along and posting videos on a YouTube channel he’d created, Rich Rebuilds, to log his progress. The videos would sometimes get a few hundred views.

After more than a year of tinkering and of challenge after challenge, Benoit had proudly restored Delores nearly back to showroom quality, and in video #61, she passed state inspection

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/ ... ost_Viewed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6