GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 25 20, 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Job Offer Question
PostPosted: January 4 20, 11:00 am 
-go birds

So my plan to move to Denver is all falling into place. I’ve just received a job offer from a company and am seeking advice on salary negotiations.

Since y’all have been so helpful in the past with this (Ive successfully negotiated twice a higher salary), I figured I’d solicit advice again.

This time is somewhat different however, they’ve matched my current salary and are tacking in a pretty substantial signing bonus, which is uncharted territory for me as I’ve never received a signing bonus.

The benefits are outstanding, as in generous PTO (and I mean generous) and insurance is 100% employer paid.

All that sounds great right? Well I started crunching numbers and one thing that I need to take in consideration is that CO has a state income tax while TN does not.

The question is, given all the elements I mentioned above, would I be out of line to ask for a higher salary?

The problem is that they know I “need” to be out there so I kinda feel like I don’t have much leverage here.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Job Offer Question
PostPosted: January 4 20, 12:58 pm 
99% conan clips

one thing i mentioned when i was offered this job in CO was i was concerned with "cost of living increases", which i was, and got an increase from the initial offer. now, i'm sure we're in different careers and denver is way different than Grand Junction but i don't think it hurts to ask. how you would want to phrase it (CoL, tax issues, etc) is up to you.

PostPosted: January 4 20, 5:53 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Cost of living increases are pretty standard when you move to a new area. I wouldn't think it should even surprise them that you'd ask. Worst thing that happens is they say that's their best offer and they hope you'll take it.

PostPosted: January 5 20, 10:29 am 
MacGyver of Underwear

They can't say yes if you don't ask, and, assuming you don't make it an ultimatem, the worst they can say is no. Like others, I'd phrase it around a cost-of-living increase and see what they say. I did that with a job once after I crunched numbers and realized the insurance costs were going to be about $100-$130 more per month than my last job. I asked for $2k more and they gave me $1500. (Doesn't sound like much, but I'd have gotten nothing it I hadn't have asked.)

PostPosted: January 5 20, 11:48 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
A signing bonus is great but it’s a one-time thing, unlike salary increases. It’s reasonable to ask for at minimum a COLA bump. Denver is not a cheap place to live these days.

PostPosted: January 5 20, 8:03 pm 
Perennial All-Star

If health insurance is 100% paid, what's the difference between what you'd save in health insurance premiums vs state taxes?

even if that works out into your favor, it doesn't mean you shouldn't ask for things as others have said. Being in the middle of a job transfer for the first time in 16 years, I'm a little pissed at myself for not asking for more sooner. Live and learn, but in hindsight, I definitely could have made more money I'd just asked.

PostPosted: January 6 20, 9:31 am 
tl;dr

I have a friend who is moving to Nashville today because her fiance got a job as an assistant tennis coach at Tennessee State. She was saying that he is also interviewing to give private lessons at a country club to supplement his pay since it isn't what he should be making. I don't know what he's making but he does have a two year contract that includes the University putting them up in a two bedroom apartment for the entire time with all utilities paid. I pointed out the savings for both of them there and suddenly his pay doesn't seem so bad to her. But he's still going to give lessons to help pay for the wedding in October of course.

PostPosted: January 6 20, 7:26 pm 
-go birds

Thanks for all the input fellas.

i went ahead and asked, without giving a figure i had in mind to feel things out, but ultimately was denied lol.

It's fine though, as i initially told them a figure higher than what i actually make when they asked about current salary, so they at least matched that. Plus, there's an annual bonus.

Something that was also pointed out to me was that they contribute $125 each month to my HSA, which saves me more money, so in the grand scheme of things I'm making way more than i thought.

Another perk is that is 100% remote, which is worth it's weight in gold.

So all in all, i'm grateful because it paves the way for me to move out west like i've wanted to for awhile.

PostPosted: January 6 20, 7:29 pm 
-go birds

tlombard wrote:
I have a friend who is moving to Nashville today because her fiance got a job as an assistant tennis coach at Tennessee State. She was saying that he is also interviewing to give private lessons at a country club to supplement his pay since it isn't what he should be making. I don't know what he's making but he does have a two year contract that includes the University putting them up in a two bedroom apartment for the entire time with all utilities paid. I pointed out the savings for both of them there and suddenly his pay doesn't seem so bad to her. But he's still going to give lessons to help pay for the wedding in October of course.

where are they moving from?

I also wonder where they are putting them up, because depending on that area, that could be a pretty sweet deal.

I live down the street from tennessee state and if they put them up close to the university, that could definitely be a win since the area is pretty vibrant.

PostPosted: January 7 20, 9:20 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Congrats, go birds. Why do you have to move if the job is 100% remote?