2019 Concerts Thread (updated before luke yells at me)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
go birds
-go birds

Re: 2018 Concerts Thread (for luke)

Post by go birds »

Hoot45 wrote:Over the weekend I was in Nashville to see Needtobreathe and Johnny Swim. Meanwhile, Garth Brooks, Taylor Swift, and Journey/Def Leppard were playing their own shows at the nearby downtown venues. The mashup of people downtown when all concerts released at the same time was like another show in itself.
my gf dragged me to the Taylor Swift concert, which ended up actually being somewhat enjoyable (don't @ me). It took us about an hour to get from nissan stadium to downtown, due to all the people.

How was the needtobreathe show...i almost bought tickets for it, not realizing it was the same night as TS. good thing i didnt!

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

go birds wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:Over the weekend I was in Nashville to see Needtobreathe and Johnny Swim. Meanwhile, Garth Brooks, Taylor Swift, and Journey/Def Leppard were playing their own shows at the nearby downtown venues. The mashup of people downtown when all concerts released at the same time was like another show in itself.
my gf dragged me to the Taylor Swift concert, which ended up actually being somewhat enjoyable (don't @ me). It took us about an hour to get from nissan stadium to downtown, due to all the people.

How was the needtobreathe show...i almost bought tickets for it, not realizing it was the same night as TS. good thing i didnt!
Nice! I've only heard great things about Taylor Swift shows. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. We could see Taylor's fireworks and lightshow from the lawn at the amphitheater, which was kind of a cool backdrop. Johnny Swim brought out Drew Holcomb for a surprise appearance. And then Needtobreathe brought out Judah and the Lion to play "Take It All Back" during their encore. I've seen Needtobreathe 9 times now and this was probably one of the top 3 I've seen.

We may have crossed paths at some point. After deciding the bars/clubs were too packed, we walked through Nissan to try and find an Uber away from the crowds. We walked against the grain across the pedestrian bridge, away from downtown towards Nissan. So if you saw some idiots swimming upstream of the Taylor Swift fans swarming downtown, that was us. Ended up in a super sketch spot north of Nissan where a passerby told us it wasn't safe to stand where we were, but we got a $40 Uber instead of the $90 it was quoting downtown. Even $40 for a 10 minute ride though... ouch.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

Thom Yorke at the Stifel on 12/8. That could be an incredibly rewarding show or a total dud. If he sticks primarily to his piano and guitar, I'd love to see it.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Hoot45 wrote:
go birds wrote:

Nice! I've only heard great things about Taylor Swift shows. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. We could see Taylor's fireworks and lightshow from the lawn at the amphitheater, which was kind of a cool backdrop. Johnny Swim brought out Drew Holcomb for a surprise appearance. And then Needtobreathe brought out Judah and the Lion to play "Take It All Back" during their encore. I've seen Needtobreathe 9 times now and this was probably one of the top 3 I've seen.

We may have crossed paths at some point. After deciding the bars/clubs were too packed, we walked through Nissan to try and find an Uber away from the crowds. We walked against the grain across the pedestrian bridge, away from downtown towards Nissan. So if you saw some idiots swimming upstream of the Taylor Swift fans swarming downtown, that was us. Ended up in a super sketch spot north of Nissan where a passerby told us it wasn't safe to stand where we were, but we got a $40 Uber instead of the $90 it was quoting downtown. Even $40 for a 10 minute ride though... ouch.
ha as a matter of fact we walked right past a couple of people going in the opposite direction--a guy and a girl. I remember thinking to myself "where are those idiots going?"

So if you were those idiots, sorry Hoot!

And yea...north nissan is prolly the last place you wanna be, but glad yall made it out safely.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Lyle Lovett up next.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Been some great concert pairings lately. And here's another. Jason Isbell and Son Volt

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Got tix to see The 1975 in May. We needed to see them on a weekend since it requires a road trip. So we got tickets for the show outside Detroit in a small-ish (7,700 seats) outdoor venue on 5/11. We wanted under the pavilion in case it rained for that long of a road trip. Those were sold out and Stubhub was not cheap. But for those in the Chicago area, they are playing the United Center on 5/8 (a Wednesday). Looks like there are still lots of reasonably priced tickets available for that one. They are also playing an outdoor venue in Cincy on 5/12.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Paul McCartney is playing my town in June. It's the smallest venue on his tour and likely the smallest one he's played in some time (around 10,700 seats). It sold out in 10 minutes. I just don't know if I can swing $360 a ticket to sit in the highest seats in the building ($275 plus the ridiculous Stubhub fees). Cheapest seats in the lower bowl are about $500 after Stubhub fees.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Bought tickets a month or so ago for the Kiss "End of the Road" tour here in the Cities in March.

Fought through the crazy [expletive] crowds on Ticketmaster this morning to get tickets for Garth Brooks in May. The first show sold out in a couple hours, so he added a second show the night before the original one and that one also sold out in a couple hours. US Bank stadium, so 70k seats per show.

It was kind of amazing seeing the tickets be a flat fee of $85 each for any seat in the stadium, no matter whether you had floor or the top row of the nosebleeds.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Going to Jason Isbell & 400 Unit, with Son Volt in Louisville