Uber

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Uber

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Schlich wrote:That's unbelievably, stupidly short sighted. 40,000 people in the US alone died from automobile accidents last year and you don't care. OK.
I for one, do not want to be forced into the Borg. The Borg can be compromised and then what? You are being naive, IMO.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Schlich wrote:Let's just not drive cars at all since the brakes fail every now and then
Taking a break from defending gun rights on Facebook? :-)

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Schlich wrote:That's unbelievably, stupidly short sighted. 40,000 people in the US alone died from automobile accidents last year and you don't care. OK.
I for one, do not want to be forced into the Borg. The Borg can be compromised and then what? You are being naive, IMO.
Naive is like my whole thing!!!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Whatever your view on driverless cars, it’s clear the systems designed to detect objects failed and needs to be fixed.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Just looking at the kind of road it is, I'd be going through there at least around 40-45mph, with no expectation of a person walking across there. Also seems rare that a person would be walking across that road and either not looking or caring about a pair of oncoming headlights.

I wouldn't expect a person driving that car to be able avoid that pedestrian. I would expect a driverless car to be capable of it, and it didn't. Definitely not as good as they need to be yet.

For the record, Uber is not a company I'd trust the development of driverless cars with. I'm very much pro driverless cars though, and I want one.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I think it is odd that autonomous vehicles are being tested out there with normal vehicles and traffic...shouldn't there be some sort of closed course for this type of thing with plenty of variables for them to be challenged and pass? I dunno...seems weird to me. But so does the idea of a driverless car. And talking pictures.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:I think it is odd that autonomous vehicles are being tested out there with normal vehicles and traffic...shouldn't there be some sort of closed course for this type of thing with plenty of variables for them to be challenged and pass? I dunno...seems weird to me. But so does the idea of a driverless car. And talking pictures.
You would think. I'm amazed there isn't more pushback.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

CardsofSTL wrote:I think it is odd that autonomous vehicles are being tested out there with normal vehicles and traffic...shouldn't there be some sort of closed course for this type of thing with plenty of variables for them to be challenged and pass? I dunno...seems weird to me. But so does the idea of a driverless car. And talking pictures.
That has all already been done. Dont know what youre basing this assessment off of

Also, I almost hit a jaywalker today which I thought was pretty hilarious given my earlier statements

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

They have definitely done tons of testing in controlled environments but the problem with controlled environments is that they are exactly that, controlled. They can try and come up with all kinds of crazy scenarios to test and program for but in the end, the general population will out crazy the craziest scenarios that the companies could ever come up with.

Just this morning I was waiting for my next bus at the Civic Center Station and this... woman?... walked in and asked the security guard sitting at the desk monitoring the cameras some question. I know we've all seen the pictures of people in Walmart looking crazy but this woman was one of those Walmart customers on steroids. And meth. And then still times 1000. One guy accidentally said 'whoa' when she walked in and then apologized in case she heard him. When she walked out, half of the people in the waiting area laughed. Normally I would consider them all terrible people but in this case, I get it.

She had on these acid washed jean shorts that were cut short and also too big so they kept trying to fall down. Her belly sides were hanging over the top of the jeans and showing a bunch of random tattoos. She was wearing boots with the fur (knockoff Uggs?). I can't even describe her shirt because I don't have the words. It was colorful to say the least. I wasn't sure it was a woman at first because she kind of looked like a man in drag but it was a woman with long ratty bleach blonde hair with black roots.

The crazy thing is that her clothes were clean, she was clean and she had nice enough luggage with her. She isn't homeless. She didn't sound crazy when she was talking to the security guard. I think she legitimately thinks she looks good in that outfit!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I parented badly. My very intelligent HS senior daughter walked right out into the road assuming no cars were coming while we were on a walk. I had to yell at her to keep her from getting hit. No cellphone was being used at the time.