Uber

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Uber

Post by Tim »

Arthur Dent wrote:
Tim wrote:So now the problem is with government waste?

I take exception with the word required. I doubt that voting was mandatory.
What in the world are you talking about?

ut it only happened after a business (Uber/Lyft] cost the City of Austin about a million dollars to call a special election to try to repeal a properly passed ordinance, which then required every citizen to take the time to vote in the special election (the uber/lift proposal was the only thing on the ballot).

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Yes, it costs money for a city to hold an election. They have to pay for voting equipment, pay personnel to run the election, etc. The cost to the City was about $800k-$1mil, according to estimates. Uber/Lyft petitioned for a special election to recall an ordinance that Austin had passed and replace it with one that they wanted. There were no other issues on the ballot; if not for the Uber/Lyft petition, there would have been no election.

To the extent that this special election can be considered "government waste," it is waste that Uber/Lyft themselves entirely created, and yet it is the taxpayers who will foot the bill.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

heyzeus wrote:Yes, it costs money for a city to hold an election. They have to pay for voting equipment, pay personnel to run the election, etc. The cost to the City was about $800k-$1mil, according to estimates. Uber/Lyft petitioned for a special election to recall an ordinance that Austin had passed and replace it with one that they wanted. There were no other issues on the ballot; if not for the Uber/Lyft petition, there would have been no election.

To the extent that this special election can be considered "government waste," it is waste that Uber/Lyft themselves entirely created, and yet it is the taxpayers who will foot the bill.
I think Tim's comment was about the phrasing in that you said it was required for every citizen to vote on the ballot when in actuality, voting is completely voluntary.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that it was a [expletive] and dumb thing for U/L to do.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

heyzeus wrote:Yes, it costs money for a city to hold an election. They have to pay for voting equipment, pay personnel to run the election, etc. The cost to the City was about $800k-$1mil, according to estimates. Uber/Lyft petitioned for a special election to recall an ordinance that Austin had passed and replace it with one that they wanted. There were no other issues on the ballot; if not for the Uber/Lyft petition, there would have been no election.

I agree with all of this. And now there is a void that will be replaced by a better enterprise. Its possible Uber will change their practice.

But the idea that the voting was REQUIRED is not true.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Tim wrote:

I agree with all of this. And now there is a void that will be replaced by a better enterprise. Its possible Uber will change their practice.

If you want to be a good citizen, and believe that a corporation should not be allowed to rewrite the elected city council's ordinances, then yes, you do have to vote. No, you don't go to jail if you don't vote. But if someone forces an election, and that election has consequences for everyone in the city, then practical reality dictates that now I have to go vote, when but for U/L I would not have. About 170,000 people turned out to vote - their time has an economic value.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

heyzeus wrote:
Tim wrote:

If you want to be a good citizen, and believe that a corporation should not be allowed to rewrite the elected city council's ordinances, then yes, you do have to vote. No, you don't go to jail if you don't vote. But if someone forces an election, and that election has consequences for everyone in the city, then practical reality dictates that now I have to go vote, when but for U/L I would not have. About 170,000 people turned out to vote - their time has an economic value.
http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/ne ... n-results/

They did allow early voting, which is nice.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Early voting is great. I think it went for like 10 days, and you can vote at any early voting polling place in the city. Anyway, I like voting, and I get to bring Zeus Jr. and all the elderly precinct volunteers love seeing cute kids, and I let Zeus Jr press the big red button. Then I give him a lecture about civics and he ignores it and tells me fun facts about dinosaurs instead.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Why do we have so few IPOs this year?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I think there's a plethora of reasons. 1. The volatility and general negative sentiment have scared companies away. 2. Couple big name ipos have recently fallen back below their initial valuation (twitter and a couple others that I can't think of right now). 3. Venture capitalist are starting to value businesses higher (eg, Uber. Uber has a 62 billion valuation right now based on what they've been selling private investors. If they go public, it's possible those investors lose some value. So if you own 5% of a 62 billion dollar company and can operate and run funds as such, why risk becoming s 50 billion dollar company and open yourself upto more refulations?)