Uber

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Re: Uber

Post by Schlich »

tlombard wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:Uber pays hackers 100k to destroy evidence of a hack affecting 57 million customers. Hid it for a year.

I've hated this amoral company since the start. The fact that people allowed it to thrive instead of die gives you all the clues you need to understand the Trump phenomena. Nothing matters. It really doesnt.
I still hate the company but I'm pretty much full Uber now when I am not driving or taking public transportation somewhere. I held out as long as I could but with everybody else switching to Uber, the wait for cabs started getting longer and longer because cab drivers defected to Uber. When it's time to go home from the bar, it's time to go home and waiting on cabs just wasn't working anymore.

I might give Lyft a shot this weekend. I've been meaning to.
They're still a super new company and their app is (was?) garbage, but i've tried to throw A Super Taxi a bone here and there when i'm not in a rush... they're employee-owned.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I use Lyft and I'm quite happy with it. The drivers seem to be happier with the company as well.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Schlich wrote:
tlombard wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:Uber pays hackers 100k to destroy evidence of a hack affecting 57 million customers. Hid it for a year.

I've hated this amoral company since the start. The fact that people allowed it to thrive instead of die gives you all the clues you need to understand the Trump phenomena. Nothing matters. It really doesnt.
I still hate the company but I'm pretty much full Uber now when I am not driving or taking public transportation somewhere. I held out as long as I could but with everybody else switching to Uber, the wait for cabs started getting longer and longer because cab drivers defected to Uber. When it's time to go home from the bar, it's time to go home and waiting on cabs just wasn't working anymore.

I might give Lyft a shot this weekend. I've been meaning to.
They're still a super new company and their app is (was?) garbage, but i've tried to throw A Super Taxi a bone here and there when i'm not in a rush... they're employee-owned.
The last time I needed a ride late at night, I tried to use their app and it just hung on "trying to find you a driver" for about ten minutes, this was after I'd tried to call and got no-one (I hoped they'd have a few drivers out and about anyway). Gave up and used Lyft.

Otherwise completely agree with Schlich. If the choice is a reasonably priced Uber ride compared to waiting for a taxi (remember the RFT article from a few months ago? It's not like they're better insured or treat their drivers more fairly than Uber anyway) then I'm going to pick Uber every time. The whole taxi industry has been [expletive] for years, which is part of the reason Uber was able to destroy them so quickly.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

EU court says Uber has to be regulated as a taxi service.

Nice to see common sense rule the day. Of course it is.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:EU court says Uber has to be regulated as a taxi service.

Nice to see common sense rule the day. Of course it is.
EU doesn't count in the real world.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

At least Uber is giving people rides. Theranos is the very definition of snake oil, and I was shocked to read they raised another $100 million. Once a unicorn, always... ?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Say what you want about Uber...they got me home New Year's Eve

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

CardsofSTL wrote:Say what you want about Uber...they got me home New Year's Eve
I know AAA was offering free rides home for both for you and your car from 6pm-6am on NYE/NYD. Not sure if you had to be a member or not for it though... But I think it was open to anyone.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Swirls wrote:
I know AAA was offering free rides home for both for you and your car from 6pm-6am on NYE/NYD. Not sure if you had to be a member or not for it though... But I think it was open to anyone.

Well I still don't know where my car is................

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Swirls wrote:
I assume they were doing the thing with the guys with the mini motorcycles that they put in your trunk when driving you home.