Orlando shooting

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Orlando shooting

Post by Radbird »

Without religion there would be no St. Louis.

I would miss St. Louis.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

If Obama just used the right words to describe terrorists, this war would already be over. They'd be like "What did he just call us? Wow....That's it, tell them they can have back Iraq."

Can't recall if I posted this in the locked thread or not but of the 25 deadliest mass shootings in the US, almost none happened when assault weapons were banned from 1994 to 2004. Orlando being at the top.
Last edited by pioneer98 on June 14 16, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

GeddyWrox wrote:
jim wrote:I'm sure that mankind would be better off without religion. The god's that have been invented have wreaked havoc on the world. Maybe we would fight over something else, probably would I suppose. But I can't help but wonder if we might just fight less if human beings weren't so damn superstitious.
YES. Totally agree.

Yea, we don't need this...

John 13:34-35New International Version (NIV)

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Or this:

Matthew 22:37-39 “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.”

or this:

Romans 12:10 “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.”

or this:

Matthew 5:44-45 “But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”

this too:

Romans 12:8 “Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.”

There are good and bad in all religions. I choose to follow the good teachings.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

pioneer98 wrote:If Obama just used the right words to describe terrorists, this war would already be over. They'd be like "What did he just call us? Wow....That's it, tell them they can have back Iraq."

Can't recall if I posted this in the locked thread or not but of the 25 deadliest mass shootings in the US, almost none happened when assault weapons were banned from 1994 to 2004. Orlando being at the top.
as pointed out before, all except Columbine

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

As I've heard repeatedly from the gun fetishists AN AR15 ISNT AN ASSAULT WEAPON. PLUS FREEDOM. AND FUN.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

cardinalkarp wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:If Obama just used the right words to describe terrorists, this war would already be over. They'd be like "What did he just call us? Wow....That's it, tell them they can have back Iraq."

as pointed out before, all except Columbine
Two others happened in 1999, but that seems to be the outlier year. No other year from 94-2004 had a single one in the top 25.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

jim wrote:Something really irritates me that they keep using the term ISIL. There is some bull [expletive] going on with that. Can't put my finger on it.
http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive ... urce=atltw
Obama argues that to place the actions of the Islamic State and other religious extremist groups in the context of Islam would provide those groups with legitimacy. He says the use of “radical Islam” frames the fight against ISIS as a war between the West and Islam, and risks alienating both Muslim Americans and Muslim nations considered allies. Obama doesn’t call ISIS by the name it prefers, instead using the acronym ISIL. “ISIL is not Islamic, and ISIL is certainly not a state,” he said in 2014.

Obama reiterated this rationale in his speech Tuesday. Groups like ISIS and al-Qaeda “want us to validate them by implying that they speak for those billion-plus people, that that they speak for Islam,” he said. “If we fall into the trap of painting all Muslims with a broad brush and imply that we are at war with an entire religion, then we are doing the terrorists’ work for them.”

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Recreational drugs have been illegal for a long time- people still get them. How can we make a ban on guns more effective than the war on drugs?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

pioneer98 wrote:
jim wrote:Something really irritates me that they keep using the term ISIL. There is some bull [expletive] going on with that. Can't put my finger on it.
Obama argues that to place the actions of the Islamic State and other religious extremist groups in the context of Islam would provide those groups with legitimacy. He says the use of “radical Islam” frames the fight against ISIS as a war between the West and Islam, and risks alienating both Muslim Americans and Muslim nations considered allies. Obama doesn’t call ISIS by the name it prefers, instead using the acronym ISIL. “ISIL is not Islamic, and ISIL is certainly not a state,” he said in 2014.

Obama reiterated this rationale in his speech Tuesday. Groups like ISIS and al-Qaeda “want us to validate them by implying that they speak for those billion-plus people, that that they speak for Islam,” he said. “If we fall into the trap of painting all Muslims with a broad brush and imply that we are at war with an entire religion, then we are doing the terrorists’ work for them.”
Well his campaign has failed miserably because everyone except him uses ISIS, which is about par for the course apparently with his ability to persuade.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

jim wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

Well his campaign has failed miserably because everyone except him uses ISIS, which is about par for the course apparently with his ability to persuade.
And how would it go over (especially in the Fox News circles) if Obama had the ability to "persuade" journalists to always use a certain term for something?