GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 14 19, 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: April 18 17, 6:04 am 
Hall Of Famer

PM May calls for snap elections to get a mandate. This could get interesting.

Quote:
British Prime Minister Theresa May called Tuesday for an early election on June 8, seeking to cement her political backing as Britain moves ahead with the difficult negotiations on its break from the European Union.

The surprise announcement — made outside her office at 10 Downing Street — also comes amid internal political strains over Brexit and moves by Scotland to possible carve its own independent path to remain in the European Union.

PostPosted: April 18 17, 6:31 am 
Perennial All-Star

The whole Brexit thing just seems like a terrible idea for the UK. It's like the people were more just voting because they wanted to remain their own individual country totally independent from anyone else then it actually being a good idea. Its like when the French Canadians want to become their own country away from the English speaking part of Canada, thankfully for them they never got enough votes to go through with that. But if the UK ends up losing Scotland and Northern Ireland back to the EU then this will be a total blunder on their part, I don't think Wales will ever try to separate. But I'm all for this if it means that Northern Ireland rejoins with the rest of Ireland.

PostPosted: April 18 17, 7:10 am 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Neil: [holding a letter] Guys, guys, guys. Guys, I think I've solved our money problem. I'm writing to my European Union manager. See what you think, OK: "Dear European Union Manager."
Mike: Yeah?
Neil: Well, that's it. I'm quite pleased with it so far, though.
Mike: Oh, well, it's a strong opening, certainly.
Vyvyan: I don't like the "dear." Sounds a bit too much like "Will you go to bed with me?"
Mike: Well spoken, Vyvyan. Uh, what do you think instead?
Vyvyan: Uh, what about... "darling"?
[everyone concurs]
Neil: [writing] "Darling European Union Manager..."
Rick: No, no, no, no, no, not "European Union Manager," it's far too crawly bum-lick. Tell it like it is, put "Fascist Bullyboy"!
Neil: "Darling Fascist Bullyboy."
Mike: That's nice, yes, so far so good. So what do you want to say?
Neil: Well, basically, I want to ask him if I can have, like, an extension on our break from the union, but I know there must be a better way of putting it than that.
Mike: Well, what about, "Give me some more time"?
Vyvyan: "You bastard!"
Neil: Don't you think that's a bit strong?
Mike: Ah, Neil, people like that respect strength.
Neil: Yeah, you're right. Uh, "Darling Fascist Bullyboy, give me some more time, you bastard." Uh... "Love, Neil."
Vyvyan: Not "Love, Neil"! That sounds far too much like "Come and get it like a [expletive] sex machine!"
Neil: Yeah, you're right. Uh... uh, what about "Yours sincerely"?
Rick: Oh, come off it, Neil. If you're going to be that sycophantic, why don't you go round there now and stick your tongue straight down the back of his trousers?
Neil: Oh, no, no, I know, I know, why not put "Boom shanka"? It means, "May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman."
Mike: He'll never understand "Boom shanka". You'll have to write the whole thing out.
Neil: Right, OK, here we go. "Darling Fascist Bullyboy, Give me some more time, you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman, Neil."
Rick: Well, if that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

PostPosted: April 18 17, 11:50 am 
All-Star

I'll say why I voted leave, if anyone's bothered.

The EU doesn't represent normal working people, at all. The odd crumb from their table (such as work-time directives, and so on) seemed almost accidental. They tried to force TTIP on us, which would have allowed corporations to sue governments if they were insufficiently friendly to business interests - which means, unfriendly to workers. It was genuinely undemocratic, run by the European Commission (which none of us voted for).

The EU also made it impossible to nationalise any industry, no matter how badly it was failing or how it would have been better for it to be in public ownership (such as the railways in the UK). They forced brutal "austerity" programs on us.

The ECHR (European Convention On Human Rights) was created by an entirely separate body to the EU.

Apologies if this has been brought up in the previous 11 pages (or if I did so myself, I should have checked). But there were good, progressive reasons for wanting nothing to do with the EU; in fact, if every member state had referenda tomorrow about EU membership, it would cease to be a thing immediately. It's not as simple as Leave = Racist (although that had a lot to do with it, sadly).

Re: the election, I reckon it's going to be weird. The media demonisation of Jeremy Corbyn is going to go into overdrive - the "Hitler would vote Labour" headline from the 1992 election will look mild. But maybe Trump's election was some horrific world-wide sea-change and Britain will back away from the precipice. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: July 24 18, 11:44 am 
Hall Of Famer

Conceding the points above, seems like more thought should have been put into it.

Hey Mort, do you know how Brexit affects movement and relocation to other parts of Europe? Saw someone on Twitter bemoaning the disappearing possibility of just picking up and moving to another EU country for a job, or retiring to Spain for example. My first thought was that seems like a bourgeois concern, but could be a real economic loss for citizens, i.e. if there aren't enough jobs to match your skills in the UK then at least you can find a job elsewhere and move without much trouble. Would also seem to benefit UK citizens the most, since most other countries there (in my experience) make it easy for English speakers.

PostPosted: July 24 18, 3:30 pm 
All-Star

I think "depends" is the best answer. Chances are they'll still allow easy movement between countries - most of Europe is only trying to stop North African and Middle Eastern immigrants from coming over the border, not relatively wealthy British immigrants. But this'll be something they'll use as a stick to beat Brexit voters with, no doubt.

An aside (which I may have mentioned before) - when Ireland became independent, during the negotiations with the UK, because they didn't have the facilities to do it, they asked to keep the British pound, and did so for 6 years (1922 to 1928). And that's a country that forcefully threw the British out. It's only difficult because there are people who benefit by the process being difficult.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 1:51 pm 
99% conan clips

Quote:
Prime Minister Theresa May has lost an MPs’ vote on her Brexit deal by 230 votes - the largest defeat for a sitting government in history.

MPs voted by 432 votes to 202 to reject the deal, which sets out the terms of Britain's exit from the EU on 29 March.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has now tabled a vote of no confidence in the government, which could trigger a general election.

Mrs May said she would make time for a debate on the motion on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46885828

PostPosted: January 15 19, 2:03 pm 
Hall Of Famer

That's a whopper. Not unexpected though.

Maybe they'll remain from here? Probably not as that would make too much sense.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 3:57 pm 
All-Star

It wouldn't be the first time a European country had multiple votes to get the "right" result - Ireland voted to leave once, back in the 90s, and the Government basically said "nope, we're having another vote", changed the parameters and got the result they wanted.

The main public "leave" figures have been discredited now - Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson are seen as jokes, and UKIP is a racist shell of its former self. So if there were another vote, remain would probably win; but then again, they might not. Interesting times, though, and I hope there's a general election now.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 4:08 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Famous Mortimer wrote:
It wouldn't be the first time a European country had multiple votes to get the "right" result - Ireland voted to leave once, back in the 90s, and the Government basically said "nope, we're having another vote", changed the parameters and got the result they wanted.

The main public "leave" figures have been discredited now - Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson are seen as jokes, and UKIP is a racist shell of its former self. So if there were another vote, remain would probably win; but then again, they might not. Interesting times, though, and I hope there's a general election now.

Curious how you would vote in a second referendum.

And would Labour campaign in a general election on a Remain platform (or for a second referendum)? I thought their position was that they'd get a better deal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next