Eating Low Carb

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Re: Eating Low Carb

Post by Gashouse »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
How do you pre-cook breakfast for an entire week?
We often make egg bakes, and my wife and I will each have a piece for breakfast for 5-6 days. Sometimes the kids ask for some so it goes faster. Put various veggies and meat in them to keep each one tasting unique.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Glad you enjoyed them.
Have you tried the microwaved turkey burger BLT yet?
http://fitmencook.com/dorm-room-masterc ... e-recipes/

I thought there was no way you could possibly microwave a thick turkey burger without drying it out, but it was fantastic. The best turkey burger I've ever had by far.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Gashouse wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
We often make egg bakes, and my wife and I will each have a piece for breakfast for 5-6 days. Sometimes the kids ask for some so it goes faster. Put various veggies and meat in them to keep each one tasting unique.
My wife makes "breakfast muffins" which have a slice of bacon, a scrambled egg, and a quarter slice of cheese. We make like a dozen of them at a time in the muffin tin on the weekend, and just take one to work each day to eat as a quick breakfast. She heats hers back up in the microwave for a few seconds, but I like mine better cold.

Step 1: Cook up an amount of bacon slices equal to the number of muffins you will be making.
Step 2: Grease a muffin tin or add muffin liners to the tin.
Step 3: Wrap a slice of bacon around the inside edge of each muffin slot on your pan.
Step 4: Crack an egg in each muffin slot, and take a spoon or fork and quickly mix up the egg for a few seconds. Add a dash of salt or pepper if you really want to (we don't bother).
Step 5: Add one quarter of a slice of cheese to the top of each bacon/egg mixture.

Bake at like 300 or something for 20ish minutes. Pop them out and stick them in the fridge. They keep for a little over a week.

Easy peasy lemon squeezie.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Gruel makes for a good breakfast. So many to choose from.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Swirls wrote:
Gashouse wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
My wife makes "breakfast muffins" which have a slice of bacon, a scrambled egg, and a quarter slice of cheese. We make like a dozen of them at a time in the muffin tin on the weekend, and just take one to work each day to eat as a quick breakfast. She heats hers back up in the microwave for a few seconds, but I like mine better cold.

Step 1: Cook up an amount of bacon slices equal to the number of muffins you will be making.
Step 3: Wrap a slice of bacon around the inside edge of each muffin slot on your pan.
Step 4: Crack an egg in each muffin slot, and take a spoon or fork and quickly mix up the egg for a few seconds. Add a dash of salt or pepper if you really want to (we don't bother).
Step 5: Add one quarter of a slice of cheese to the top of each bacon/egg mixture.

Bake at like 300 or something for 20ish minutes. Pop them out and stick them in the fridge. They keep for a little over a week.

I'm going to try these. The answer I was looking for smart asses :P

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Wife says bake the muffins at 350 not 300. They're done once they've started turning that golden brown color and are firm to the touch.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

Swirls wrote:
Gashouse wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:

Cold eggs? Are you some kind of monster?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Apparently. They taste better cold imo. They're small enough that you get a decently portioned breakfast that's eatable in about 3-4 bites.

Lazy factor wins in this case. I can pull it out of my lunchbox and eat it while never leaving my desk. If I want to heat it up, I have to walk 20 feet to the break room and press the buttons on the microwave before walking 20 feet back to my desk and eating it.

Never underestimate the effort an engineer will go through in order to not use any effort.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Going low carb, or no grains or processed sugar like I did, can be hell for the first 3 weeks or so because all the bacteria in your gut that used to feed on that crap starves to death, and makes you crave it more because they want to be fed. If you stay strong and starve that bacteria out, you will cease craving the junk.

When we first went paleo, I ate constantly for a month or so before finally my body adjusted, all the bad bacteria died, and now I feel like crap if I eat any bread/processed sugar, etc. I'd rather go without food even if for a day or two. You want the gut bacteria that feeds on meat and veggies more than grains and sugar.

Snacks... real fruit and veggies. If you want to lose weight, less fruit because of the sugar content. Nuts and aged cheese (like cheddar). Yogurt is good too. (homemade or with the cleanest ingredients, and least amount of sugar or fake sugar substitutes)

Honestly though, I don't really need to snack anymore. I mean, sure, I'm a healthy size now, but I have an active job and do some sort of workout 4-6 days/week, and even then I can go without food if needed. If you eat clean and let your body adjust, you'll stop having constant cravings. In fact, I often skip breakfast altogether, or breakfast is just a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit.

Treat veggies as free carbs. Keeps you from starving during that first month.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Man, I just have no interest in totally giving up good bread and grains. Man has put too much effort into learning how to make awesome bread.
By the same token, I have no interest in eating crappy bread stuffs so I don't eat all that much of it.