Cutting cable / Sling.TV

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Re: Cutting cable / Sling.TV

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

I use Kodi on Windows 10.

It's awesome.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

I have PlayStation Vue. For sports fans, it's impossible to beat for cord-cutting pay-TV services. A bit more expensive - I pay $35/mo - but my package has all the ESPNs and includes FSN. It also has a DVR, which no other cord-cutting service has been able to match yet. The streaming quality has been phenomenal on my Amazon Fire TV.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

ndistops wrote:I have PlayStation Vue. For sports fans, it's impossible to beat for cord-cutting pay-TV services. A bit more expensive - I pay $35/mo - but my package has all the ESPNs and includes FSN. It also has a DVR, which no other cord-cutting service has been able to match yet. The streaming quality has been phenomenal on my Amazon Fire TV.
++ I love PlayStation Vue

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Only problem for me getting Playstation Vue is that I don't have a playstation and not sure if I want to pay a few hundred bucks for the system since I would only be using it for the Vue subscription since I'm not a gamer at all.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
ndistops wrote:I have PlayStation Vue. For sports fans, it's impossible to beat for cord-cutting pay-TV services. A bit more expensive - I pay $35/mo - but my package has all the ESPNs and includes FSN. It also has a DVR, which no other cord-cutting service has been able to match yet. The streaming quality has been phenomenal on my Amazon Fire TV.
hmmm...i just took a look at Vue and I could keep my google fiber internet for $70 a month and add the Ultra Slim package for another $65. I would then be saving myself $55/month.

Do either of you ever have streaming issues?

I'm looking at the channel lineup and it has every single channel i watch.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

JoeMcKim wrote:Only problem for me getting Playstation Vue is that I don't have a playstation and not sure if I want to pay a few hundred bucks for the system since I would only be using it for the Vue subscription since I'm not a gamer at all.
I believe you can get an Amazon Fire/Firestick...but don't quote me on it...we also have the PS Vue apps on our iPads

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

go birds wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
hmmm...i just took a look at Vue and I could keep my google fiber internet for $70 a month and add the Ultra Slim package for another $65. I would then be saving myself $55/month.

Do either of you ever have streaming issues?

I'm looking at the channel lineup and it has every single channel i watch.
I've had a few weird streaming issues, but nothing that isn't cleared up after a few minutes...and I don't know if it was on my provider or on Sony. That being said, the HD quality isn't as great as UVerse or Satellite, but it's not horrible...I'm used to it now...and I'm saving about $100 a month.

Combined with an HD antenna, and I'm pretty much set.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

PlayStation Vue does not require a PlayStation (it's one of the biggest complaints die-hard Vue people have with the service on their subreddit, that the name leads people to believe you need one). You can get it on basically any streaming device (Fire, Roku, Apple TV, phones, etc.), or on a computer.

go birds, I have the very occasional pause for buffering (it was happening more often when I used a PS3), but the quality is nearly always rock solid. From what I have read, Fire TV (box not stick), Apple TV and PS4 provide the best streaming quality.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

So, to confirm, if I get a Kodi-enabled computer wired up to my TV, I'll be able to watch either FSMW or the MLB Network?

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

For the purposes of watching Cardinal baseball, if you use sketchy addons you'll be playing a game of whack a mole to find something that works. A simpler solution would be to use the same computer and add a decent VPN, I had success with Private Internet Access myself. Then you can just get MLB.tv proper and use that in a browser or with the Kodi addon.