Baseball cards

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Baseball cards

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I've got a bit of a collection, which has been quite expensive to build up, so I'm looking forward to snapping up mountains of cheap cards.

Any other collectors on here? Good local places to go?

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Baseball cards

Post by Radbird »

http://www.onemillionbaseballcards.com

14560 Manchester Road #23
Manchester, MO 63011
636-527-4244

Haven't been there in years; hopefully it's still good.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I have a Ken Griffey, Jr. 1989 Upper Deck rookie card that I will sell you for $60.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

JoeMcKim wrote:I have a Ken Griffey, Jr. 1989 Upper Deck rookie card that I will sell you for $60.
Or you could get one on eBay for $20 or less. I can't believe the prices on that "One Million Baseball Cards" site either. Dude must think it's still the 90s. You can get anything you want on eBay for literally a fraction of what he's asking.

I do miss the days of card shops on every corner, shows every weekend...those were fun times.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I bought the Griffey card from a guy in high school for $60 thinking that at this point in time after he got into the HOF the card would be a minimum $500 card. Never expected the bottom to drop out of the industry. Unless if I can make back the $60(and that be considering inflation that this 60 isn't as good as the 60 I paid for it), ought as well just keep it myself.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Smith Corks One wrote:I can't believe the prices on that "One Million Baseball Cards" site either. Dude must think it's still the 90s. You can get anything you want on eBay for literally a fraction of what he's asking.
That site appears to have not been updated in over a decade (his last baseball card listings are from 2005). I saw someone on Craigslist selling loads of complete year sets for pretty cheap, from...Ballwin? But he's not replying to messages either. I'm happy to give a real shop my business, and also that prices are going down.

I picked a year at random - 1980 - and decided to collect every Cardinals card from then on, from all the different makers. I've not got very far yet (and have been grabbing other sets when they were cheap) but it's fun.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:I can't believe the prices on that "One Million Baseball Cards" site either. Dude must think it's still the 90s. You can get anything you want on eBay for literally a fraction of what he's asking.
That site appears to have not been updated in over a decade (his last baseball card listings are from 2005). I saw someone on Craigslist selling loads of complete year sets for pretty cheap, from...Ballwin? But he's not replying to messages either. I'm happy to give a real shop my business, and also that prices are going down.

I picked a year at random - 1980 - and decided to collect every Cardinals card from then on, from all the different makers. I've not got very far yet (and have been grabbing other sets when they were cheap) but it's fun.
Let me see what I've got. I've still got tons of cards from the 80s. Like, probably close to 100,000.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Smith Corks One wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:I have a Ken Griffey, Jr. 1989 Upper Deck rookie card that I will sell you for $60.
Or you could get one on eBay for $20 or less. I can't believe the prices on that "One Million Baseball Cards" site either. Dude must think it's still the 90s. You can get anything you want on eBay for literally a fraction of what he's asking.

I do miss the days of card shops on every corner, shows every weekend...those were fun times.
I'm sure I spent several thousand dollars on baseball cards between, say, 1987 and 1995. Conveniently, those were the years when:

1. Popularity of baseball cards exploded;
2. Driven by "collectors" seeking investment value;
3. With demand exploding, the card companies responded by simply printing unlimited supplies of the cards;
4. Shockingly, a market flooded with supply eventually corrected itself; and
5. Cards from these years are now all but worthless.

9-17 year old heyzeus learned a valuable lesson about market economics at least, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Famous Mortimer wrote:

Yeah, sorry about that. It probably was back in the '90s when I was there. I just saw that the website was still up so figured he was still in business....

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

He might well still be in business, but was one of those people who said "this internet thing is a flash in the pan".

Complete year sets of Topps cards from mid-late 80s can be had for $10 each, so I feel bad for someone who went crazy buying then, expecting them to be a sound investment.

I'll check out a few places as I'm learning more about the city, but if (like Smith Corks One) you fancy selling some or see a place that's got loads for sale cheap, let me know.