Baseball cards

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Re: Baseball cards

Post by Tambourine Man »

Try a show? I have no idea how many dealers would be at something like this, but they used to be popular. Plus, Dick Hughes will sign your jersey for $29.

http://www.stlsportscollectors.com/show-signings/

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I got a boatload of Dmitri Young rookies I'd sell you for a buck.

:x :x :x :x

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I now have a small-ish box of duplicate cards I'd be happy to trade for someone else's small-ish box of duplicate cards.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I still love to rip packs. I get one of those big thick becketts about twice a year. But I love to collect still.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

When my Grandpa died back in the late 80s, we (my parents mainly) cleaned out a lot of stuff in his attic and we found my dads old baseball cards. At the time, the value of them was well over $10,000. Lots of stuff like Hank Aaron rookie cards that were all around $50. I specifically remember a Mike Schmidt, Ron Cey and Hilton rookie card that was, at the time, valued at about $500. There were a few of those. Just looked it up and you can still get $150 or so for it. Someone is selling it for $850 on eBay....lol.

Blah blah blah. I wonder what they did with them. Should have probably cashed them in back in the day. I've got quite a few Upper Deck complete sets from the 1990s. Man. Those things used to be so bad ass. I remember trading a $10 Brock rookie card for a $12 Williams hologram card and my dad about lost his [expletive]. I showed him the values and he went on a tirade about how rookie cards were worth more. So, I had to call the guy and undo the trade which sucked.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:So, I had to call the guy and undo the trade which sucked.
Ahaha...A buddy of mine traded me a signed, Willie Mays 8x10 for the McGwire Olympic card. Apparently, he and his dad waited in line for a few hours to get the Mays autograph. Our dads spoke. I still have the Mays autograph. :P

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Lots of stuff like Hank Aaron rookie cards that were all around $50.
I started collecting in the mid-80's, and I don't remember Aaron rookies every going for anything close to $50. Lowest I remember was at least mid-upper three digits. Unless the condition was really horrible or something. Sure you're thinking of the rookie card (pictured below)? Unless I'm seriously mis-remembering some things.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Smith Corks One wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Lots of stuff like Hank Aaron rookie cards that were all around $50.
I started collecting in the mid-80's, and I don't remember Aaron rookies every going for anything close to $50. Lowest I remember was at least mid-upper three digits. Unless the condition was really horrible or something. Sure you're thinking of the rookie card (pictured below)? Unless I'm seriously mis-remembering some things.

Oh yeah we have a couple of those. I don't think they're mint condition, I know we put them insome good protective sleeves. Probably, uh, need to revisit those :)

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Any recommendations for selling vintage cards online? I see places like Dean's Cards but wondering if anyone used a site they were happy with.

I have a couple of 1963 Topps Mantles and suspect they are the most valuable. Not mint, corners a little worn but they look better than this one (no stain at least).
[SHOW]
Also have some other HoFers like Mays, F Robinson, Aaron, Banks, Brock, Gibson, Yaz, Morgan, Kaline. Even a couple of Ueckers! All from early to mid 60s.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:

Oh yeah we have a couple of those. I don't think they're mint condition, I know we put them insome good protective sleeves. Probably, uh, need to revisit those :)
Yeah, that would be something worth revisiting. If the condition was even decent, I would get them professionally graded by PSA. Just checked prices on eBay - one graded "near-mint" (PSA 7 out of 10) went for about $8500. Doubt it would be graded higher than that, but PSA 8's (NM-MT) go for $25,000 easy, and numerous PSA 9 (Mint) have gone for over $300,000.

More likely, you would have something like a PSA 6 ($4000) or PSA 5 ($2000-$3000) on something that old. Still nice cards to have! Hell, even a PSA 1 (poor), which means you could basically crumple it up and wipe your ass with it, will get you $700-800. While the market has completely imploded on anything from the last 40 years, that certainly hasn't been the case with vintage cards.