Baseball cards

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Smith Corks One
All-Star

Re: Baseball cards

Post by Smith Corks One »

Holy [expletive], that Gibby in PSA 9 condition is amazing.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

We were doing some cleaning our sons' room last weekend. I noticed that my wife threw away our 10 y.o.'s small stack of baseball cards that he had in his desk. He doesn't follow baseball much (I've failed as a father) and cares much more about pokemon cards than baseball cards. His baseball cards were from 2017, I think. I know they are next to worthless, but I couldn't help but rescue them and stick them with my giant bin of mostly worthless cards from the late 80's.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Smith Corks One wrote:Holy [expletive], that Gibby in PSA 9 condition is amazing.
Shockingly cheap too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Topps-Bob ... ctupt=true

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

heyzeus wrote:Somewhere in my parents' basement there is a sealed package of like 50 Todd Zeile rookie cards that I purchased as an investment. I hope I can retire now.
A buddy of mine started writing Zeile when he was in AA ball and started the Todd Zeile Fan Club of which I was a member. Once he made it to the bigs, Todd would get us tix as often as we wanted, usually loge behind home plate and sometimes next to his hot wife. He was incredibly nice.

While we're here, my most valuable card is the 53 Bowman Stan Musial.
[SHOW]

Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Corky »

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Card Corner Plus: The Simple Style of 1969 Topps

by Bruce Markusen
January 14, 2019
If you’re my age, or perhaps older, I’m about to make you even more conscious of the date listed on your birth certificate. As difficult as it is to believe, it was 50 years ago that we lived through the season of 1969, one of the most enduring in the game’s history.

That was the year that Major League Baseball celebrated the 100th anniversary of the professional game, an homage to the Cincinnati Red Stockings of 1869. It was the season in which the entrance of four expansion teams motivated the decision to change the structures of the American and National Leagues and create four divisions, an East and a West for each league. A major rule change lowered the pitcher’s mound from 15 to 10 inches, following the historically low run-scoring environment of 1968.

It was also the year in which MLB adopted its now famous logo: the red, white and blue scheme that featured the silhouette of a batter. (For many years, it was believed that Harmon Killebrew was the model for that silhouette, but that urban legend has since been debunked by the creator of the logo.)
As with any set, 1969 Topps has its share of intriguing cards, notable for their color, their mismatching uniforms and team names, and yes, even their mistakes. Included is a famed “backwards card, along with one of the most famous error cards of all-time which has long created debate among collectors and fans.

Let’s take a deeper look at ’69 Topps through this smattering of samples, presented in numerical order.
https://tht.fangraphs.com/card-corner-p ... 969-topps/

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I turned 10 in 1969. This set is what comes to mind when I think baseball cards. I loved the look of them. Threw them all away as a teenager I am sure.
Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Jocephus wrote:
Card Corner Plus: The Simple Style of 1969 Topps

by Bruce Markusen
January 14, 2019
If you’re my age, or perhaps older, I’m about to make you even more conscious of the date listed on your birth certificate. As difficult as it is to believe, it was 50 years ago that we lived through the season of 1969, one of the most enduring in the game’s history.

That was the year that Major League Baseball celebrated the 100th anniversary of the professional game, an homage to the Cincinnati Red Stockings of 1869. It was the season in which the entrance of four expansion teams motivated the decision to change the structures of the American and National Leagues and create four divisions, an East and a West for each league. A major rule change lowered the pitcher’s mound from 15 to 10 inches, following the historically low run-scoring environment of 1968.

It was also the year in which MLB adopted its now famous logo: the red, white and blue scheme that featured the silhouette of a batter. (For many years, it was believed that Harmon Killebrew was the model for that silhouette, but that urban legend has since been debunked by the creator of the logo.)
As with any set, 1969 Topps has its share of intriguing cards, notable for their color, their mismatching uniforms and team names, and yes, even their mistakes. Included is a famed “backwards card, along with one of the most famous error cards of all-time which has long created debate among collectors and fans.

Let’s take a deeper look at ’69 Topps through this smattering of samples, presented in numerical order.
https://tht.fangraphs.com/card-corner-p ... 969-topps/

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Oh btw, there's a huge scandal in the card collecting industry, and the FBI is investigating. Basically there are "card doctors" who fix up damaged cards and re-submit them for grading. The company that does the grading is supposed to note if a card has been altered, but either can't always tell, or it's on the take.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/201 ... hobby.html

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Anybody seen Jack of All Trades netflix doc?

Thinking about it for rain delay