OFFICIAL Poker Thread Part 2.0

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

OFFICIAL Poker Thread Part 2.0

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sorry, ICE, not going to bump this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36061&hilit=poker
Michael wrote:In the SB I tend to limp a long in that spot. If you flop a set you can win a monster in a multi way pot. That said, a raise isn't unreasonable. Pocket 9s is most likey the bottom of my rasing range. It depends. I like your river check because it looks like the button was trying to steal the pot although he had an actual hand.

Edit -. The weird c bet spot is one of the reasons I don't like raising with that hand out of position. It's easy to get lost.

Also we should make a poker thread

See, I'm the opposite most of the time. If I'm in the blinds with a small (<8) PP and there are some limpers, I want to take it down pre-flop, but I don't want to extend myself too far. So, I want to raise with the intention of folding everyone out. The more callers the worse in my mind.

You're only what about 10% to flop a set? The odds of an overcard on the flop are well above 50%.

You can get lost, but a biggerish open gives a lot of options later on. Now, shutting down when a lowly 8 falls is not the optimal way to continue, but it also looks like AK/AQ/AJ more so than a pocket pair. Even checking the flop still leaves a lot of options.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Re: OFFICIAL Poker Thread Part 2.0

Reading ICE's post about a straight flush reminded me of a night in Tulsa about a decade ago. This was back in my wilder days and on this particular day, I had for some reason a huge mustache. Anyway, not important.

I was in the 1/2 game at the hardrock (or whatever it was before then). Me and a couple buddies went. One guy one like 8 roulette red/black bets in a row and was buying the worlds next round. Blah blah blah. It was a haze.

Regardless, I knew enough to be dangerous back then, but not near what I do now. And, this hand really taught me a lot. I was in some position as this was something I never cared about back then. It must have been late position as I was last to act on the river. Anyway, I had 79c. I'm sure there was some betting going on pre-flop, but I don't remember much. Just that I had to call something. The flop was 810cAo. I'm sure you can all see where this is going.

A guy bet some amount, and I called. Two other guys called. (Like I said, smooth operator back then)

Turn comes a brick. Guy bets like $15, and I call, one other guy calls.

River comes a Jc. Yahtzee!!!! My first and only straight flush.

Guy that had opened every round bets a whopping $25 and I raise it to a whopping $50!! Other guy folds. Guy that had led out looks at me for I swear 5 minutes. And calls. I roll over the straight flush and he rolls over the AQc. Okay, so it's nice to win a bigerish pot like that right. But, the guy to my left goes...."Man, what the [expletive]?" in a tone that I imagine is similar to what a roomate says when you piss on their computer. (Actually, no need to imagine).

I said, what. That's a good hand. He goes, YEAH, BUT YOU'VE GOT TO GO ALL IN~!11!!!!!! I thought he meant literally and I was going to lose the pot. But he goes on to explain, along with the guy that I beat who was actually pretty cool. They go on to explain that, you know, old boy had opened every round which indicates a very strong hand...likely an Ace with a club draw. And, he's got $75ish dollars in the pot, so he's going to call another $150ish. Etc etc etc. Then, old boy goes on to say he thought so long because he couldn't figure out what was going on.

He went through the whole process in his head. Possibilities were:
1. I had JJ and was too drunk to notice clubs hitting. Possible.
2. Pure bluff. Possible.
3. Lower flush draw. Possible. Only problem was, best hand I could have was K9 and not a lot else...K7?
4. Straight flush. Almost impossible to get. Why bet so small.

So at this point I kind of joked that at least I got paid something. He said, yeah, but even if he was 99% sure I was holding a straight flush, he'd still call an all in bet because it's impossible to put a guy on a straight flush, especially in this scenario, and over the long haul, it's a losing proposition to try....especially given an A high flush. I asked why he didn't re-raise and he said in the end he didn't think I had jj, he felt obligated to make a move, and couldn't decide between my action being a pure bluff, lower flush, or straight flush and since raising is bad for 2 of those 3 options, he just called.

Blah blah blah. That introduced me to the world of range building and being committed to pots.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Here's a video torelli put out today in case you haven't seen him. This is him discussing his own hand. I like it a lot more when he does other people hands, especially when villian's holding is hidden.

Still very good. I love listening to how he builds his opponent's ranges. In this video he kind of goes over how he 'won' a hand. But it's pretty interesting how he's upset at losing value despite winning.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Man, I just found this thread. Major wall of words. :)

It'll take time to get through this. I'll start here:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Sorry, ICE, not going to bump this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36061&hilit=poker
Michael wrote:In the SB I tend to limp a long in that spot. If you flop a set you can win a monster in a multi way pot. That said, a raise isn't unreasonable. Pocket 9s is most likey the bottom of my rasing range. It depends. I like your river check because it looks like the button was trying to steal the pot although he had an actual hand.

Edit -. The weird c bet spot is one of the reasons I don't like raising with that hand out of position. It's easy to get lost.

Also we should make a poker thread

See, I'm the opposite most of the time. If I'm in the blinds with a small (<8) PP and there are some limpers, I want to take it down pre-flop, but I don't want to extend myself too far. So, I want to raise with the intention of folding everyone out. The more callers the worse in my mind.

You're only what about 10% to flop a set? The odds of an overcard on the flop are well above 50%.

You can get lost, but a biggerish open gives a lot of options later on. Now, shutting down when a lowly 8 falls is not the optimal way to continue, but it also looks like AK/AQ/AJ more so than a pocket pair. Even checking the flop still leaves a lot of options.
If you "want to take it down preflop" than you aren't raising for value and you're you're turning your hand into a bluff . That's a shame because small to medium pocket pairs are power houses in multiway pots, particually when playing with deep stacks because you can win BIG pots. In my opinion, basically you're undermining what makes small pocket pairs so amazing. If you want to turn a hand in to a bluff to get folds I recommend doing it with something like an unsuited junky ace. You can spike an ace on the flop and you have a blocker to bigger hands (AA,AK, AQ, AJ). I'll also add - there's a non zero chance if a table checks down your small pocket pair is good. If not, the experince cost you 1 bb. That's a lovely price.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Also, I'm only advocating the strategy in multiway limped pots, particularly when you're in the blinds. If you have 66 on the HJ with no limpers, come in for a raise. 66 on the button with one limper behind, come in for the raise.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I like your story. Poker is a cruel game. Missing value is just as bad as making a bad call.

Ugh, Torelli. I irrationally dislike him and I can't make it through his videos.

His dumb dub step opening.
His pseudo zen life advice.
Punchable face.

That said, I've watched him play and he's way better than me. I'm sure his advice is great.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Torelli can certainly come off as a douche with the intro and what not and the random cutouts to pictures of him in what seem to be affliction shirts for no reason. But, all that can be skipped and the poker analysis is top notch. His lifestyle videos are boring and yeah, really zenny. I mean, I'm sure his approach of eating healthy and getting sleep and working out and what not help him play a little bit better. But, his mind is just geared differently towards playing winning poker. Not that it can't be taught or learned, but there's certainly an inherent mindset that he has as well.

Listening to how he started playing when he was a teenager with friends and how fanatical he was about calcing odds and even today how he runs all his hands through an equity generator and what not is insane. And, he seems to be acknowledge that every now and then...back when he dropped out of college to play, he admits even as a partying 21 year old he was winning lot sof money. Probably 99% of his success is his knack for playing/reading/building ranges and 1% the rest of the stuff he focuses on like eating kale or whateer.

Re the story I told. yeah, left a lot of money on the table. Still think about that and kick myself.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

You sound like a guy who has found the poker religion. :wink:

If you're a live player I recommend checking out "Live at the Bike" on twitch. The stream features live cash games in L.A. It can be very informative.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Final table of the main event tonight.

The final table bubble was gross last night. AA vs KK vs KK preflop.