Casual / pickup softball

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Casual / pickup softball

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Count me in! I'll need to have a bit of a practice, make sure I'm as thoroughly below average at this as I am at cricket, but then I'm good to go. Oh, and I still need to get a damn job.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm going to hold you to that! Our roster doesn't even have to be turned in until a couple of weeks in the season, the money isn't due until the season starts either (normally about $40) so PM me your name and contact information and I'll have our captain add you to the roster and email chain. Same with anybody else here who wants to play on Thursdays. As I said before, we're a friendly team who doesn't care how you play as long as you have fun. We don't actually win very often so we don't get upset about losing.

Oh, and games are at either 6 or 7 in April, May and August and either 6:15 or 7:15 in July and August to give people a little more time to get there from work since it stays light a little longer.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Just found out that my Tuesday team has folded and I am down to just playing softball on Thursdays. I was very unhappy with that until I realized that now I can just replace those Tuesdays softball games with going to more Cards games if I don't fill Tuesday nights with anything else thanks to the Ballpark Pass. I still might reach out to some friends on other teams and see if they have room for me on their Tuesday roster so I can still play though. Or I could volunteer to umpire and make an extra $50 cash money for two hours of 'work' although I don't know that I really want to do that. I don't really have the attention span and also get a bit excited or distracted by other things going on to pay attention to the entire field.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

By the way, does anyone know of a good pre-owned sporting goods place nearby? I was going to check out some gloves, as I don't want to pay full whack for something I might not use that often. I know there's a Play It Again Sports in St Peters, but that's a fair hike from where I am now.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Famous Mortimer wrote:By the way, does anyone know of a good pre-owned sporting goods place nearby? I was going to check out some gloves, as I don't want to pay full whack for something I might not use that often. I know there's a Play It Again Sports in St Peters, but that's a fair hike from where I am now.
There's a play it again on Manchester, too, should be bussable.

Try facebook marketplace too

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Nice one. I might pop over there this afternoon.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Excellent! I got a $20 glove, a softball and a baseball to mess about with. Now I just need to learn how to catch with one (it shouldn't be too difficult, hopefully).

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Wish I lived closer or got downtown more often. I'd throw it around with you for a little while...until my back gave out anyway.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Excellent! I got a $20 glove, a softball and a baseball to mess about with. Now I just need to learn how to catch with one (it shouldn't be too difficult, hopefully).
I guess the best way to practice catching flyballs by yourself is to just throw the ball straight up as high as you can and just try to get under it and catch the ball.

When I was younger I got practice fielding ground balls since we had railroads ties around the garden in the backyard and would just bounce the ball off of that.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Thanks to the walking boot, my softball is over for a few weeks. I've been nursing my quads the past few weeks which have been getting better so hopefully this time off will help with those and the toe won't be a problem for me when I do get back. Although I now have a feeling that with the boot making my legs different lengths, I'm going to end up with a back problem when I finally do get the boot off!