Vacation 2017, where are you going?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Vacation 2017, where are you going?

Post by Tim »

Eat at Roy's if in Waikiki

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Tim wrote:Eat at Roy's if in Waikiki
I've actually eaten there as well, it was good.....but not great IMO....service was excellent though.

If you're staying in Waikiki (and you're not bringing the children), I would suggest renting a convertible for the day and driving up the north side of the island and taking in the beautiful coastal sites. There's tons of lookout sites along the way, and it eventually leads you up to the North Shore which I would suggest you check out as well.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

cardinalkarp wrote:
I've actually eaten there as well, it was good.....but not great IMO....service was excellent though.

If you're staying in Waikiki (and you're not bringing the children), I would suggest renting a convertible for the day and driving up the north side of the island and taking in the beautiful coastal sites. There's tons of lookout sites along the way, and it eventually leads you up to the North Shore which I would suggest you check out as well.
This. And go to Waimea Falls and take a swim.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Tim wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:

This. And go to Waimea Falls and take a swim.
If staying on O'ahu, you also need to do all of these things (in no particular order):

1. North Shore and get authentic Hawai'ian shaved ice from Matsumoto.
2. Attend a luau at Germaine's (the ones put on by hotels are garbage - pay a little extra and go to Germaine's).
3. See the blowhole.
4. Hike up Diamond Head - preferably at sunrise so you can watch the fog/cloud cover slowly lift from downtown Honolulu.
5. Visit the Dole plantation.
6. International Marketplace is kind of neat to see a variety of little shopping kiosks from around the world.
7. Royal Palace - it's the only official palace in the United States, it's also where they film Hawai'i Five-O.
8. Get some Chinese food. It is out of this world good over there. My favorite place is Little Village Noodle House.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

4. Hike up Diamond Head - preferably at sunrise so you can watch the fog/cloud cover slowly lift from downtown Honolulu.
Unfortunately, Diamond Head was under construction doing a bunch of renovations while we were there so we didn't do that one.

We did drive by the Dole plantation on our way up the northern coast, but did not visit.

Of course one of the main attractions is the Pearl Harbor Museum.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

We'll* actually be in Maui - y'all have any hot recommendations?

Zeus Jr. (age 5) and Zeus Jr. Jr. (age 2) will be there too, so no 7 hour drives.

Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Post by Numbers »

In lieu of a summer vacation, we're just going to move back to Missouri. :)

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

cardinalkarp wrote:
Unfortunately, Diamond Head was under construction doing a bunch of renovations while we were there so we didn't do that one.

We did drive by the Dole plantation on our way up the northern coast, but did not visit.

Of course one of the main attractions is the Pearl Harbor Museum.
This is true. Can't believe I forgot to mention that one - I guess I just assumed it was an obligatory thing that everyone does when they go (I've seen it twice, and it is jut as incredible the second time). You can actually also tour the USS Missouri battleship while you're there, which is awesome (when we went we paid an extra like $3 per person for a private guided tour of all of the decks of the ship). If you're unaware, it's the battleship where the Japanese officially surrendered thereby ending World War II. There's also an old submarine you can take guided tours of also.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

heyzeus wrote:We'll* actually be in Maui - y'all have any hot recommendations?

Zeus Jr. (age 5) and Zeus Jr. Jr. (age 2) will be there too, so no 7 hour drives.
Unfortunately I have not been to Maui, so I cannot give any recommendations. :(

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

heyzeus wrote:We'll* actually be in Maui - y'all have any hot recommendations?

We went to Maui last fall. Did some snorkeling which was cool, one of the spots(Ulua Beach) was very calm and relatively shallow too so the kids could probably snorkel with some flotation. We did the Road to Hana and I was a little underwhelmed. The best stuff you see is along the way, but it's a lot of very slow driving to do it. My favorite spots were the black sand beaches at Waianapanapa State Park and the rainbow eucalyptus trees. I read that doing sunrise up on haleakala is really cool, but you need to be up real early to get all the way up there for sunrise so we didn't bother.

More than anything though, it was maybe my favorite vacation because we did very little. We had a condo right on the beach and we didn't really leave that area for the first 3 days were there. We'd hang out on the balcony, take a walk on the beach, and otherwise just relax. I read like 7 books in the week we were there.