Prescription Given Out To Wrong Person

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Prescription Given Out To Wrong Person

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Just wondering if anyone here has had the same thing happen to them and what to do.

My wife has a prescription for Vitamin D deficiency. When she went to Walgreen's this evening to pick it up, she was told it had already been picked up this afternoon (wasn't either one of us). Walgreens says they are reviewing the tape and haven't shown it to her yet. I'm presuming they are trying to see whether a worker didn't follow the proper protocols and gave it out by accident or if it's someone who's using my wife's name. Just a little freaked out because that packet that's stapled to the front of the bag has our address, my wife's DOB and her insurance information on there. Walgreen's did give us a packet for a HIPAA breach of privacy thing. I did a little bit of snooping on the Internet and saw there's no private right to sue under HIPAA. Just wondering if there's any other recourse besides filing a complaint with the state pharmacy board.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Re: Prescription Given Out To Wrong Person

Post by Smith Corks One »

I know it's not what you're asking, but why a script for Vitamin D? I know most doctors want to prescribe 50,000 IU of D2 per week or something, but D3 is vastly superior to D2 and is available very cheaply over the counter. I knew I had found the right doctor when he diagnosed me as D deficient and said just to take 5,000 units of OTC D3 per day.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I always wonder why Wal-Mart stresses privacy, and then makes you blurt out your name and date of birth in front of twenty people.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Leroy wrote:I always wonder why Wal-Mart stresses privacy, and then makes you blurt out your name and date of birth in front of twenty people.
My Walgreens just has us verify our address.

KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by KyCardinalFan »

I just picked up a prescription for both me and my husband from a local pharmacy. I noticed that his just had his name and our address, but mine had that plus our phone number and my dob. Because I had read your post the other day, I was a little alarmed about this info being on there. But then, all of this is available publicly anyway. (Census) They just gathered it for someone. The main concern is the insurance. What did they put on there? The company name? Numbers?

Since mine just added it, I wonder if it's an ACA thing?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

It wasn't a lot WRT insurance information. Had the name of our insurer plus something else (can't remember if it was group number or something different.)

I'm just not optimistic about much changing since Walgreens is a corporate giant. The local store manager seemed truly sorry. If corporate pays for credit monitoring for us for the next 3-6 months I'll be okay. Still going to at least make the Missouri Board of Pharmacy aware of what happened