Teaching kids to play baseball

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Teaching kids to play baseball

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

tlombard wrote:That didn't take long. I'll just paste exactly what she replied here:

"I wonder how old he is? Id ask what sensory supports he may use throughout the day at school and at home. Kids with Autism often project aggression when they're seeking other input. For instance, he might need some deep pressure (squeezes on the arms, push ups) or need to run if he has a lot of energy. The parents are probably the best resources when it comes to advice on managing his behaviors. Consistency is the key in terms of trying strategies and verbiage that he is receptive to in other environments. They also need structure, routine, and knowing what's to come next."
Right. Little league isn't a good place for someone like him IMO. Did she have any input about a Miracle League or Special Olympics program in your area?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Not really but I have heard of Challenger Baseball League that plays in a couple of parks (spring and fall) in the St. Louis area.

In a couple of years she'll probably know more about the available sports leagues though. Her first born (she's expecting their second now) has Down Syndrome and with her and her husband both being very good athletes, I'm sure they will try and get Teddy involved in sports when he's ready but he's only 2 now.

Edit: She also just messaged me and said that she got cut short when the bell rang with the first response but if there are any other questions/concerns/advice needed, she'd be glad to help and loves to hear that a coach is reaching out for advice.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

tlombard wrote:That didn't take long. I'll just paste exactly what she replied here:

"I wonder how old he is? Id ask what sensory supports he may use throughout the day at school and at home. Kids with Autism often project aggression when they're seeking other input. For instance, he might need some deep pressure (squeezes on the arms, push ups) or need to run if he has a lot of energy. The parents are probably the best resources when it comes to advice on managing his behaviors. Consistency is the key in terms of trying strategies and verbiage that he is receptive to in other environments. They also need structure, routine, and knowing what's to come next."
I know they are huge on structure and routine so being his first practice was far out of his norm. We have another practice tonight so we’ll see how it goes. There aren’t any other leagues around here that might be better suited for him, one of the down sides of small towns. At least tonight we’ll have an idea Of what to expect coming in.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

His dad took off work to come to practice last night. Sounds like he plans on being at as many as he can. I’d say things went much better but it’s definitely going to be something that is going to require a lot of attention all season.