Fyrefest 2017

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Fyrefest 2017

Post by Spider John »

lukethedrifter wrote:Swimming pigs?

I had to know:
bet it’s not often that you find ourselves jealous of a pig … but that’s probably because didn’t learn yet about the swimming pigs on Big Majors Cay in the Bahamas. Nobody is quite sure how this otherwise deserted island became the home to so many pigs, but they sure seem to be having a good time.

When they’re not relaxing in the soft sand doing their best to get a tan, the pigs swim out to the boats that frequently visit the island … I mean, who would settle with a pile of salty seaweed when you can have a tasty treat from island hopping sailors?

Big Majors Cay is located in between nearly four hundred small islands in the Exuma district of the Bahamas. How the pigs got into these prime tropical waters remains a mystery. Some believe sailors put the pigs on the island as a source of meat, while others speculate that the pigs are the sole survivors of a long ago shipwreck (good thing they can piggy paddle!). Nowadays they are living the life on the aptly named Pig Beach, where they are visited daily by tourists who feed them treats. The witty pigs have it timed so they show up on the beach each day when the boats are most likely to arrive. Not a bad life if you ask me!
http://upshout.net/swimming-pigs/

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Spider John wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:Swimming pigs?

I had to know:
bet it’s not often that you find ourselves jealous of a pig … but that’s probably because didn’t learn yet about the swimming pigs on Big Majors Cay in the Bahamas. Nobody is quite sure how this otherwise deserted island became the home to so many pigs, but they sure seem to be having a good time.

When they’re not relaxing in the soft sand doing their best to get a tan, the pigs swim out to the boats that frequently visit the island … I mean, who would settle with a pile of salty seaweed when you can have a tasty treat from island hopping sailors?

Big Majors Cay is located in between nearly four hundred small islands in the Exuma district of the Bahamas. How the pigs got into these prime tropical waters remains a mystery. Some believe sailors put the pigs on the island as a source of meat, while others speculate that the pigs are the sole survivors of a long ago shipwreck (good thing they can piggy paddle!). Nowadays they are living the life on the aptly named Pig Beach, where they are visited daily by tourists who feed them treats. The witty pigs have it timed so they show up on the beach each day when the boats are most likely to arrive. Not a bad life if you ask me!
http://upshout.net/swimming-pigs/

See-You make your own fun!

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

They're not being fired, either, so they can't collect unemployment benefits. Instead, they can continue to work as unpaid employees to help grow the dream of Fyrefest.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Watch the documentary on Hulu that just came out, Fyre Fraud. Incredible

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Watched the Netflix documentary without knowing much about the story (sorry, I don't follow GRB close enough I guess).
[SHOW]
Reminds me of a Black Mirror episode
[SHOW]
the woman in Bahamas that tackled feeding people is the only decent person featured in the film
[SHOW]
McFarland is a Trump

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I’ve decided I don’t want to watch it because I don’t give a [expletive] about the scammer and the scammees. Sometimes you miss good stuff when you prejudge.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Firstly, it's a story that's totally worth 90 minutes of your time. Maybe evern 180--both docs.

At least give it 11 minutes (this one takes an intersting sympathetic take on the festivalgoers):

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

The Moolah Theater is showing both documentaries tonight, and it's free. Just come on into the bar, I'll be in there, have a few cheap drinks too.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Watched them both last night. Fascinating.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Watched both this weekend
I can’t get enough