Tuckpointing

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Tuckpointing

Post by Socnorb11 »

Anybody have experience in this? Is it something that an untrained guy can do himself, after watching a YouTube video? It "looks" easy enough, especially using a grout bag. Maybe I'm naive.

Seems like the trickiest part might be finding the correct mortar mix?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: Tuckpointing

Post by cardsfantx »

This is a family site sir

New Pagodi
Perennial All-Star

Post by New Pagodi »

Tuck pointing is one thing that really isn't a DIY job. It's really easy to make a big mess and it's really hard to clean up a bad tuckpointing job. Get someone with good recommendations. They'll know how to get the right mix of sand, mortar, and color to match you're existing brickwork. (There's different kinds of sand and different kinds of mortar).

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

New Pagodi wrote:Tuck pointing is one thing that really isn't a DIY job. It's really easy to make a big mess and it's really hard to clean up a bad tuckpointing job. Get someone with good recommendations. They'll know how to get the right mix of sand, mortar, and color to match you're existing brickwork. (There's different kinds of sand and different kinds of mortar).

Yeah, that's the part that I think I could really muck up (getting the right mix). I did some reading on it and didn't gain much clarity. I thought maybe I was overthinking it, but it sounds like you're of the same mindset.

I actually hired a guy this week to do some minor tuckpointing on my house. It's a fairly expensive proposition, so I was thinking maybe I'd try to do it myself in the future. Also, this guy talked a REALLY good game when he did the quote........... but then he showed up with no grout bag (which shouldn't really matter, but it seems like it would be more efficient), and the mortar doesn't really match the original. So I'm a little disappointed in the result.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Its easily something you can do on your own. A little research and some materials testing will net you the right mix. Buy a little bit, mix it, test it on an out of view spot, and see if it works. Even buying a few different mortar mixes saves you money vs hiring someone. If you take your time, its easy. Just go slow, and if you mess up, fix it. Start in the most out of sight areas, and work on the most visible areas once you've had some practice. Take you time take your time take your time. Its like painting. If you go slow and focus on the details, it takes awhile, but looks great.

That said, I did hire someone to tuckpoint a part of my house up high on a weird hill over a window over some landscaping, because I didn't want to fall off the ladder and break my head. Also had them do the windows because the bricks there were sideways and they were already out for the other section so it was inexpensive to add on a couple of window sills. But for the 90% of my house that is easily and safely accessible, I do the work myself.

Basically, if you can get to it easily and safely, do it!

New Pagodi
Perennial All-Star

Post by New Pagodi »

Socnorb11 wrote:Yeah, that's the part that I think I could really muck up (getting the right mix). I did some reading on it and didn't gain much clarity. I thought maybe I was overthinking it, but it sounds like you're of the same mindset.

I actually hired a guy this week to do some minor tuckpointing on my house. It's a fairly expensive proposition, so I was thinking maybe I'd try to do it myself in the future. Also, this guy talked a REALLY good game when he did the quote........... but then he showed up with no grout bag (which shouldn't really matter, but it seems like it would be more efficient), and the mortar doesn't really match the original. So I'm a little disappointed in the result.
I wouldn't get too hung up on the grout bag. I just looked over some of my old notes and some tuckpointers just don't like them. I think I was maybe a little to pessimistic in my earlier comment. I've never been able to get good tuckpointing resutls - but that doesn't mean that no one else can. If you want to try it yourself, I would follow JC's advice and start in less noticeable spots first. If you do that and watch enough youtube videos, you might be able to get good enough results.

Also, be sure to buy the supplies at a masonry supply house and don't buy the premixed stuff from the big box stores if you want it to have any chance of matching. You might even be able to chip out a chunk of mortar and have someone at the supply house tell you what you need to match it.

One other gotcha - the acid used to cleanup afterward will kill most plants. So be sure to cover any grass or bushes with plastic first. But do the cleaning as quickly as possible because leaving the plastic down too long can also kill the grass.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

New Pagodi wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:Yeah, that's the part that I think I could really muck up (getting the right mix). I did some reading on it and didn't gain much clarity. I thought maybe I was overthinking it, but it sounds like you're of the same mindset.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the grout bag. I just looked over some of my old notes and some tuckpointers just don't like them. I think I was maybe a little to pessimistic in my earlier comment. I've never been able to get good tuckpointing resutls - but that doesn't mean that no one else can. If you want to try it yourself, I would follow JC's advice and start in less noticeable spots first. If you do that and watch enough youtube videos, you might be able to get good enough results.

Also, be sure to buy the supplies at a masonry supply house and don't buy the premixed stuff from the big box stores if you want it to have any chance of matching. You might even be able to chip out a chunk of mortar and have someone at the supply house tell you what you need to match it.

One other gotcha - the acid used to cleanup afterward will kill most plants. So be sure to cover any grass or bushes with plastic first. But do the cleaning as quickly as possible because leaving the plastic down too long can also kill the grass.
The bold is really good advice.

But yeah, a lot of companies can't get an exact match, even if they say they will. As long as you're close, it won't be too noticeable. Even when I do notice it on other houses, its usually only when I'm up close, and my immediate thought is, "this person tuckpoints their house. They must have pride in their home to maintain it." Anyone who thinks poorly of someone because the grout is a little more grey than tan or whatever is a turdface.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

My father in law tuckpointed a few areas in our floor that needed grout, it doesn't look so hot. And, by tuckpointed I mean he used concrete mix that I use on the driveway.... But, hey, it keeps the bugs out.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

This is definitely a diy project imo. I just did our house this spring. Just take your time and read up on mixing.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

That's some good advice and encouragement, JC. Thanks a bunch.

Did you use a grout bag?