New iPhone X

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Re: New iPhone X

Post by TimChopsula »

ghostrunner wrote:Would also be nice if they offered a $300 option or something in that range. Apple has never really done that though.
The iPhone SE is $349

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

TimJomsula wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Would also be nice if they offered a $300 option or something in that range. Apple has never really done that though.
The iPhone SE is $349
Huh. I had completely forgotten about that, and didn't realize it was still around.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Socnorb11 wrote:My phone:

There is ZERO chance that I'll ever pay $500 - $1000 for a phone.
Just had to jump in to support any nonsmartphone user. 2 of us now... 2 down, 7 billion to go.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

My iPhone 8 arrives tomorrow. I'll post a link to my live unboxing

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I wonder if a lot of people are foregoing computers altogether in favor of smart phones.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:iPhones have always worked well for me. Upgraded to the 7 after having the 5s for nearly three years, and the biggest reason I did that was for more storage.
Ding ding. My wife and I had regular 5s for 3-4 years and then upgraded to 7's with the max storage. I don't anticipate replacing the 7's for a while.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Swirls wrote:It's just the traditional fixed spaced fonts like Courier New where you have to make sure you use two spaces in between sentences. Modern day variable spaced fonts like Times New Roman, Calibri, Arial, etc. all "appear" the same whether or not you use one or two spaces in between sentences.
I had an ancient professor in grad school who made us use Courier for all of our papers (this would have been early 2000's). The guy was in his 80's and still teaching. Absolutely brilliant, and one of the most respected scholars in his field at the time, but he was very old fashioned. We all thought that he wanted us to use Courier because it reminded him of his typewriter days. He explained later that you could actually read and edit Courier much faster than a paper in Times New Roman, which was the school's standard. With dozens of 30-40 page papers to read and grade, he wanted to get through it as fast as possible. I experimented with it a little and found out he was totally right. Wish the crap I have to read and write for my doctoral work was in Courier... need to get through that stuff as fast as possible.

Incidentally, that same prof was also the first to let us bring laptops to the final so we could type our essays and print them. Again, it helped him with grading... much easier to handle printed, Courier New papers than blue books with pages of scribbling. He always said, "if you take the time to use your computer to look up information for your essays, you won't have time to finish the essays." He was right about that, too.

I'm kind of a font geek, so sorry to pick out a random part of this thread and make too much of it...

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Popeye_Card wrote:I hope that we have evolved enough as a society to stop using number of pages (or words) as a target for a college-level paper. To be ready for the real world, colleges *should* be teaching students to communicate the most complete possible message using the fewest words possible. In business, being concise beats being verbose every single time.
Definitely true for business. And most professions, really. Doing doctoral studies right now and I was really surprised when they still gave us page restrictions. Their reasoning made sense, though. Their restrictions are the same as many scholarly journals. It's part of the expectation that you'll be writing for publication, so they want students to practice writing to a specific length, which actually requires cutting a lot of interesting research and only giving what is essential to your argument.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Swirls wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Occurred to me after this discussion that I have a nice SLR Canon camera I bought either shortly before or after the first iPhone I bought. I think it cost $400+ at the time. I hardly ever crack that bag open because I've ended up using the phone instead and for 90% of the pictures I take it does a great job. You stack that and all the other devices and goods a smartphone replaces and it adds up. They're probably charging more than they should, and you can get close to the same features for less, but it's really not a crazy amount of money. I can't justify it but I'm sure plenty of people can.

Would also be nice if they offered a $300 option or something in that range. Apple has never really done that though.
The closest Apple has ever offered for a "low budget" iPhone was when they released the 5C 3-4 years ago.
I still have that one and it still works great.

Bought my wife an SE last year and she loves it. I'll probably replace my 5c with an SE if it ever goes.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

ghostrunner wrote:I wonder if a lot of people are foregoing computers altogether in favor of smart phones.
I moved about a month ago and haven't found a reason to set up my desktop. I do have a Chromebook that gets a fair amount of use though.