New iPhone X

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: New iPhone X

Post by thrill »

haltz wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:I wonder if a lot of people are foregoing computers altogether in favor of smart phones.
I moved about a month ago and haven't found a reason to set up my desktop. I do have a Chromebook that gets a fair amount of use though.
I haven't bought a personal computer in years. The only reason I have an iPad is for the kindle app and...one other thing. Do everything else on my phone.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I use my work iPad for reading with Kindle Unlimited. I have my work laptop for work and posting here. Everything else is on my phone. I haven't even considered buying a personal desktop or laptop in years.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I love tactile keyboards too much to completely abandon PCs.

I have a 12 inch asus notebook I use all the time. A few years ago I think I paid around 150-200 for it. It's super light and the battery life is about 10 hours. The thing is so light often I'll lay in bed and rest it on my chest while watch movies or surf the web without discomfort. The laptop is also pretty quite and durable because it doesn't have any moving parts like a hard drive or fan. I've never had any performance problems with basic tasks like youtube, web browsing, MS office, etc.

I bought my wife one and she likes it as well.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

So the new iOS 11 control center sucks for quickly controlling music and podcasts. The podcast app itself is now a huge mess.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Michael wrote:I love tactile keyboards too much to completely abandon PCs.

I have a 12 inch asus notebook I use all the time. A few years ago I think I paid around 150-200 for it. It's super light and the battery life is about 10 hours. The thing is so light often I'll lay in bed and rest it on my chest while watch movies or surf the web without discomfort. The laptop is also pretty quite and durable because it doesn't have any moving parts like a hard drive or fan. I've never had any performance problems with basic tasks like youtube, web browsing, MS office, etc.

I bought my wife one and she likes it as well.
I only use my phone really when I'm away from home because I've been using desktop OS's for so long that I am a LOT faster with my laptop than anything I would want to do with my phone. Plus for doing something like creating a post on a forum like this, especially if I need to look something up first, not only would I be faster on my laptop, but it's very painful to do on a phone/tablet. Maybe a tablet with whichever Android version allows split screen apps might be close, but I'm not super keen on dropping several hundred bucks to find out.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I have my iPad outfitted with a bluetooth keyboard that basically makes it a mini-laptop. Even with that setup, I walk around from meeting to meeting with my iPad and phone, but wait until I get back to my office laptop to take care of many tasks.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

when i got the job i'm in now i was giving a company ipad. it sat in my closet for about 2 months then i returned it saying "i never use this". i've got a phone, my work PC and a laptop at home. don't need another device. that said, i do need/want to get a home PC sometime in the near future.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ghostrunner wrote: The podcast app itself is now a huge mess.
This is now top 5 worst things happening in my life. I have a good life, but it's still trash.

Got the iPhone 8. It's not much of an upgrade from the 6S I had, but the battery is good and the planned obsolescence of the hardware on the old phone being glitchy with the new iOS is no longer a factor for me, so that's good. 256gb vs 64 is a huge help with my data usage streaming problems.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Fat Strat wrote:Incidentally, that same prof was also the first to let us bring laptops to the final so we could type our essays and print them. Again, it helped him with grading... much easier to handle printed, Courier New papers than blue books with pages of scribbling.
God... Blue Books. I hated writing in those damn things in college.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I had been an iPhone user for a while (last one I had was a 5S), but switched to Android a few years ago. My first Android phone was the Asus ZenFone 2, which was like their first foray into the Android market. It was nice, but had too many problems that required me sending it in for new screens and magnets and whatnot.

Last summer I upgraded to the LG G5, which up until a few months ago has been fine. But there are just too many annoying things happening with it now - for example, my fingerprint reader no longer works. It's out of warranty.

I think I'm going to switch back to an iPhone and just buy a used 7+ or 7S+ of Craigslist or something. The thing I liked most about iPhones is the whole "it just works" thing. You have about 500 billion different ways to go about doing stuff on an Android phone, especially if it comes free of bloatware, and it's just too much. I want to go back to only having a few options to choose from.

Sidenote: I do not own any other Apple devices. I had an iPod and a MacBook in college, but that was before the smartphone era. I now only have an Asus ZenBook Prime laptop that I bought in 2011 and my phone. I've considered getting a tablet, but are you able to download torrents using a VPN and whatnot on one?