Wristwatches

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Wristwatches

Post by JCShutout »

In the past, I never wore a watch because I figured I could just pull out my phone to look at the time. Also, when I was working at the school, it didn't seem useful when sports, kids with sticky hands or violent behavior could damage the watch (or hurt someone in a crisis intervention situation or a basketball game)

So I have a new job. Im a caseworker. I constantly need to know the time so I can be accurate on my paperwork for the folks I work with. After 3 weeks of digging my phone out of my pocket 15+ times/day-maybe more, (Not to mention the dozen or two times I looked at the clock on the wall or computer) I realized that about 80 or 90 years ago, humans invented a way to carry a timepiece on your arm. Whodathunkit!?!

I didn't want to get anything too pricey to start, in case I thought it too clunky or didn't like it, so I settled on a little $35 Timex. Our dress code is business casual, so its appropriate for both work, and my personal style.
[SHOW]
I've only been wearing it 3 days, but holy crap! Its the most amazing invention ever. I literally use it dozens of times every day, and this way, I can check the time for billing or other appointments without it seeming like I'm disinterested in folks, Yeah, I know, there is like a 10 year old thread on watches where everyone talks about their "cheap" $300-$500 watches and all that, but I ain't got cash for that nonsense. (and all the pics have expired, so its time for a new thread) I'm loving this watch so damn much that maybe I'll eventually start a collection.

This thread is devoted to bringing back the wristwatch. Who wants to lug a phone in and out of your pocket 30x/day? And you all have these giant phones compared to my little flip phone. That's got to be ridiculous.

Bring back the wristwatch. Time just got classy. (again)

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Wristwatches

Post by CardsofSTL »

I started wearing wristwatches as a kid and never got out of the habit. Normally wear a fit bit watch nowadays to make sure I am not too close to death at any given moment; but still mostly just a wristwatch to me.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Haven't worn one in nearly 20 years...always felt weird/annoying on my wrist, and I guess I never need to know the time that accurately. Incidentally, this is the last watch I ever wore (not this exact one, but just like this...)
[SHOW]

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I've always worn a watch. In college I actually wore a pocketwatch. I've still got it - my parents got it for me when I earned my Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts, so it's got some custom engraving and stuff on it.

After college I switched to wearing Fossil watches, which overall I really liked but they were getting too hipster/trendy for me in styles so I'd been looking for something nicer and more simple. I was going to get a Citizen Eco-Drive, but the one I wanted ended up being discontinued so I couldn't find it anywhere, and I still wanted to stay under $300. Earlier this summer I purchased a watch off Kickstarter, and have been loving it (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... atic-watch) - it was like $165 GBP, so about $200 USD. The solid bronze has already formed a pretty cool looking patina in a lot of parts, but other areas still have that bright and shiny bronze/rose gold color to it.

At some point I want to invest a couple thousand dollars into an heirloom watch to pass down to my children (such as a Baum & Mercier), but right now I have neither several thousand dollars to spend on a watch nor any children to pass the watch down to. So I'm gonna hold off for a while.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

My uncle got me a nice watch when I graduated college and I still like to wear a watch when I'm at work. I feel it's part of the "uniform". I recently got this one and love it.
[SHOW]

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Nic bought me a Tag Heuer f1 about ten years ago. I really don't wear it unless I'm at some dress up thing. Doesn't make sense to wear an expensive watch to the farm. Lol

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I love watches, and this is the one I'm currently wearing.

Glass front and back, so you can sell all the workings of it. Very nice thing it is.

I normally like really minimalist ones (I have a Skagen, but the clasp is a bit loose). But I did have an old Casio A-158 which I wore for many years, I'll probably go back to that. $15 on eBay, can't go wrong.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I need to wear a wristwatch because I teach, and I need to be aware of the time several times during a class, or in between classes.

I've had a Pulsar wristwatch for years--it's functional (if a bit large and heavy), and is visually clear, but it's never been my favorite watch.

Instead, I prefer my parents' watches, partly because they're very nice, and partly because I feel connected to my parents.

Sorry that that isn't a great photo, but it's my father's watch that was just sitting around in a jewelry box in my basement. A few months ago, I became curious and removed its wrist clamp to find out more about it (my dad's wrist was huge, so he wore his watch with a metal clamp on his wrist rather than a band). Based on the serial number and model number on the back, it's an automatic made by Universal Geneve, a small Swiss company, in either 1951 or 1952. Based on the date, it was probably a present to him--I'm betting from his parents, either for graduating from college ('51), completing his Master's degree ('52) or getting married ('52). It's probably a basic model, and nice without being fussy or elegant, but it's still a watch for a professional, with a 14K gold back.

It doesn't keep time perfectly, but it does well enough, but it's just nice to have something of my father's that he kept the rest of his life, and probably came from his family.