Wristwatches

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
DownUnderDon
Fringe Major League Player

Re: Wristwatches

Post by DownUnderDon »

I'm a bit of a wristwatch junkie. I keep an eye on antique shops and the like and can pick up things like this 1970 Omega Seamaster surprisingly cheaply.

A cheap Casio G-shock or a Seiko diver are my everyday watches.

I have my fathers gold Cyma, given to him by his parents for his 21st birthday in 1948 & engraved as such on the back. He wore it every day until his eyesight started to fail in the 80's. Nice to wear occasionally!

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I had a G shock that I really liked that I can't find. It wouldn't be hard to replace I guess.

I got an unfortunate drunken tattoo on my wrist years ago that's since been covered up, but in the meantime I got used to wearing watches because the band hid it pretty well. Right now I alternate between a fitbit and one of those MVMT watches that's advertised on every podcast you've ever heard. It's nice to be able to read texts on the fitbit while I'm talking to customers.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

I love watches so much I actually have been contemplating doing this...

https://www.watchgang.com/

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I currently wear the first gen Asus Zenwatch that I bought the day it came out November 9, 2014 and I really like it. I just don't feel right without a watch on my wrist anymore.

I have upgraded the band to a metal mesh type band but it goes really well with just about anything and I have a fancier band for when I put on a suit ($22 for both including new pins). I was on a bar crawl a couple of weeks ago and somebody actually commented on how nice it looked and how thin it was. I looked at her wrist and almost laughed when I saw an Apple watch.

I really do want a nice, slightly more expensive watch to wear for certain events though. I swear I saw a type of hybrid smartwatch that I was really interested in but I can't remember who makes it or if it was even out yet. The idea was that the watch was a conventional analog watch but there is a touchscreen and display laid over the analog watch face that only becomes noticeable when you get an actual notification and if the hands happen to be in the way of the text, they automatically rotate out of the way of the screen portion until you're done and then they go back to telling the time. What I saw a couple of months ago looked really cool but I just can't remember who the manufacturer was. It really looked like the best of both worlds between analog and smart watches.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Fossil has a bunch of hybrid smartwatches that are basical your average watch that has some minor features and bluetooth connectivity. They're fairly affordable and seem like fairly nice watches for the price. I'm strongly contemplating buying one: https://www.fossil.com/us/en/wearable-t ... tches.html

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

heyzeus has JoeMcKim on ignore. SAD!

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

An awesome watch is something I lust over, but I'm too cheap to buy. I really like the simple German made watches. For example, I love NOMOS watches:
[SHOW]
I have a serious lust for these Glashutte Original vintage inspired watches:
[SHOW]

So good.

I don't have expensive tastes, but I really, really love nice watches. A big part of me wants to drop like 10-20k on "timepieces".

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

stlouie_lipp wrote:heyzeus has JoeMcKim on ignore. SAD!
So you're saying I should read the thread before posting in it? Interesting....

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

wart57 wrote:I love watches so much I actually have been contemplating doing this...

https://www.watchgang.com/
Thanks for that link. I'd never heard of that before. I am extremely tempted to go with the mid tier option. I don't think I can quite afford that upper tier and if I'm going to have a watch collection (which I would like even if I still wear my Zenwatch daily) then I want it to be a bit higher end than the lowest tier.