Legal question about covid

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Legal question about covid

Post by IMADreamer »

Hey I know a few of you are super attorneys and well I guess I'm looking for a tiny amount of free legal advice. My wife comes home today upset because her work had a big meeting today because her bosses boss who is new and an awful human said today that if anyone at their work gets covid they can not tell anyone and especially not post it on social media.

They already are not taking this at all seriously, but my question is can they do that? Now lets say they have an outbreak at work and keep it hush hush. Now lets say my wife gets it at work. Can we sue the ever living [expletive] out of these people? I told my wife to just quit. [expletive] it, we are good she doesn't need to work, but she loves working with the old people she has for clients. So she doesn't want to.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Legal question about covid

Post by GeddyWrox »

Not a lawyer but that's some bullsh!t.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I'm guessing there is no option for her to work from home?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

SHE WORKS WITH OLD PEOPLE AND SHE'S NOT ALLOWED TO COMMUNICATE IF SHE IS A DANGER TO THEM.

I have nothing to offer in terms of advice, I just wanted to yell that sentence because it's absurd and actually evil. [expletive] her boss. He's a scumbag.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

If that employer takes adverse action against an employee because of their speech or criticism of the employer, I do believe Illinois has an anti-SLAPP law. (You are in Illinois, right?) You can't sue someone for exercising their speech rights. And if she's fired for that, she should definitely talk to an employment lawyer for wrongful termination.

They're trying to bully and frighten their employees into being afraid to do the right thing.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

heyzeus wrote:
August 13 20, 1:19 pm
If that employer takes adverse action against an employee because of their speech or criticism of the employer, I do believe Illinois has an anti-SLAPP law. (You are in Illinois, right?) You can't sue someone for exercising their speech rights. And if she's fired for that, she should definitely talk to an employment lawyer for wrongful termination.

They're trying to bully and frighten their employees into being afraid to do the right thing.
Yes we are in Illinois. This whole thing just feels wrong to me so that's why I asked. Thanks for the advice.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Lawyers correct me, but one of the sticking points of the relief bill that was interrupted by the president's "executive orders" was employer liability. Obviously this doesn't matter anymore, but I just can't believe that this was even real. McConnel wanted to make sure companies could not get sued if they made people work during a pandemic.